Changing life from professional to PhD student (Software Engineering, Computer Science)

B

Hi there,
I am Software Engineer (5 years of experience) with a Masters Degree in Computer Science Engineering. When I got my degree (5 years ago) I decided to follow the professional path, even because I was a bit disappointed by the Academical environment in Italy...

Now I'm working in a big R&D institution as IT consultant and my interest in getting a PhD has grown up and now I'm really interested in develop and contribute in the research field.

My problem is that I don't have any link with the Academic world anymore. I've tried to send some emails to groups doing Software Engineering research and offer PhD positions around the world (I'm interested in Europe and also Canada) but I didn't receive any answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I

Hello Bangthebank,
Welcome to the forum,

There are a couple of things which are important,
1) Research area - (software engineering is very broad) you have to be specific,
2) where you want to do it?
3) funding - how you want to fund your studies, if you are self-funded then everyone will welcome you since there is competition in funded projects.

Once you are clear about your research area then try to search supervisors in relevant area; the best way is to go through their profiles(through university website), everyone have their research interest on their profiles which will make it easier for you, show your interest in email and they will come back to you, previously I tried to contact research groups (specially students) and no one replied so probably you are sending emails to research students try their teachers :) all the best

B

Thanks Itsmardan,

indeed, preparing a Research proposal before to contact anyone is important...I see.

I'm thinking to have a look at OpenUniversity...It could be a good option.
However, I didn't know that for a PhD you have to pay lots of money (more than 3000 pounds/year). It seems there's no chance for me to find a funding for that (and for living cost).

I

Open University have a bit different procedure from other unis or at least not same as mine or maybe my Phd is different, but they will ask you to join classes for research procedure where they will teach you how to take and do research; this last for 8months (I have been told) and it is pretty much same as Msc taught course, I think get in touch with them about duration/procedure; and same time explore other unis as well, best of luck