Changing PHD's. Is it a bad idea?

A

Hello,
I am faisal, a new member here.. Just want to ask you guys for ideas regarding a situation I am facing.
So, I am doing my phd now, nearing end of first year, my phd is partially funded and I'm doing it in a university that is ranked below the average.
Meanwhile, I've read an advertisement for a full PHD scholarship that matches my research interests and at a highly ranked university.
I want to apply for it, as I am still in the first year here, and for hopes of better academic and financial situation.
Now, do I tell the new supervisor of my educational situation? I mean that I am planning to drop out of this uni because I am hoping for better research/academic environment? or would it give a very bad impression that I am not very dedicated/serious?
As my research in my current university matches that of the advertised one, I feel its going to add extra "points" to my application, but as i said, it might be bad?
any ideas? how do i approach the new supervisor? and how do i sneak that in the letter of research interests?

thank you all
love
:)

T

Hello Faisal,

I think you should probably be honest in this case, because there is overlap in the research and it may benefit your application. I also think you should make a good case about the funding, rather than you think the new uni would be better, because that seems like a more realistic reason for the move.

A

thank you very much Treeoflife, how do you think I go about saying that? :D

T

You also have to consider references, are you going to tell your advisers that you want to move? Do you need them to be your referees?

I think if you want to take this road, you can only do it directly and honestly, because otherwise it's not going to work. I can't tell you how to word it; all you can do is write it sensitively, directly and honestly in your covering letter when you apply for the PhD.

I'm not sure how favourably it will come across, and the academics might just reject you for that reason alone, but equally they are likely to reject you anyway if you are evasive in a interview about your reasons for leaving your current PhD.

Also consider what will happen if it doesn't work out: how will you advisers feel about you as a student? Would they question your dedication? Would this affect the success of your PhD?