Changing supervisor/institution with AHRC

M

Hi, sorry since I already posted a similar question in my 'help - maybe quitting, maybe not quitting...' themed thread but just thought this might get a better response with the appropriate title. It's been suggested to me that my current problems may lie with my supervisor and this makes some sense. My previous institution for my BA and MA have suggested I come back (I left there a year ago). Originally I left there because it seemed healthier to try a new place, plus my current supervisor is a better fit on paper and also I wanted to move in with my boyfriend (now fiancé so a good plan!). When it was first suggested I thought it would be impossible but I could go back and stay there just a couple of nights a week or something so it would be do-able I think. Plus I have some very close friends there and I have more friends/people I know well in the department which would help one of my major issues of loneliness. The problem, however, is that I have AHRC funding and they are very strict about this sort of change. I've been told that they should be fine with it as it might come down to that or my quitting which they obviously don't want, but I wonder if anyone has had experience of this?

C

it seems like if you can make a good enough case, then it is possible. the goodwill of the insitution you are transferring will definately help as you need their permission etc. i copied and pasted this from this years ahrc award holders handbook:

. Can a studentship transfer to another course or Research
Organisation?

Transferring to another course or Research Organisation

2.1 Studentships are awarded for a particular course or programme of study at a particular
Research Organisation as identified on the student’s application or nomination form and
approved by the AHRC. The AHRC shall consider any request to transfer to another course or
organisation only in exceptional circumstances, and only if the reasons are fully and clearly
explained. In most cases appropriate circumstances would be the transfer of a student’s
supervisor to another Research Organisation.

2.2 If a student is considering transferring to another course or organisation, permission must be
sought in advance from the AHRC. Failure to do so will lead to the AHRC terminating the
studentship and requiring repayment of any grant already paid. It should not be assumed
that a request to transfer a studentship will automatically be granted. All requests will be
considered individually and on their merits. The AHRC will require letters from:

• the student formally requesting the transfer and setting out their reasons
• the registry at each Research Organisation agreeing to the transfer
• the supervisor supporting and explaining the request

The receiving Research Organisation will be required to accept all the terms and conditions
relating to the studentship as it was made, including its start date and length, registration
requirements and (in the case of a doctoral student) submission date target. Please note that
the AHRC will be unable to approve a transfer to a course or programme of study that falls
outside the AHRC’s subject domain. We are also unable to approve a doctoral student’s
transfer to a Research Organisation or department that was ineligible to submit applications
for doctoral awards at the time of their application or nomination.