Checklist before submitting thesis - humanities & social sciences

J

Hi guys,

I'm coming to the end of my thesis and wondering how you know your thesis is ready for submission - apart from your supervisors saying so - which is not helpful for those of us with distant supervisors?

Is there a checklist one can use? I'm particularly interested in views from those in the humanities and social sciences (am only excluding scientists because our thesis styles and requirements are different).

What do you do in those weeks allocated for correcting the draft?

W

This might be helpful Jojo http://staff.napier.ac.uk/services/rkt/researchoffice/researchdegrees/Documents/THESIS%20SUBMISSION%20CHECKLIST.pdf

But also, do your uni not have a checklist for people at your stage, or have a document that tells you what your finished product should look like? You could also consider downloading theses similar to your own from the British Library website and then comparing the finished product with your own to see what you need to do.

J

@Walminski - thanks. we have something like this. But before we even get to this stage there's the correction phase. For instance, how much literature should one have, are there any requirements of what examiners want to see regarding literature, what about argument, it is enough that it flows, what about hypothesis, should you be seen to have tested everything you mentioned in your thesis, what about those parts for which you know there is data but participants were unwilling to give it or to prioritise the urgency of it.... what do you do with these parts? can you include incomplete tables in appendices?

things like that.

what is the basic minimum you need to demonstrate to get a phd? i think that's what am asking.

B

I'm at a distance from my university too, but my supervisors can still give me feedback on my writing (usually sent in the post, or by email) and advise me when I'm ready. Can't yours do that? They should be in the best position to judge what you've written and if it's up to scratch.

J

thanks bilbo but, unfortunately my supervisor is not on top of the research in my area and a lot of his students have passed with major corrections. thats why am seeking views elsewhere. :-(

B

Do you have a second supervisor? That's a requirement at my university, and even if it's not exactly their field the second supervisor can provide an extra pair of eyes, and feedback on whether a thesis is likely to be up to scratch.

I honestly think this is the sort of thing that only an academic reading through the thesis can properly assess.

J

Hi JoJo,

I am not sure if this is helpful to you for not, but thought I would suggest it anyway. I know in my field there is a document for PhD examiners published by the british psychological society, which is really quite helpful to see exactly how it is marked etc. Its prob not exactly the same as your feild but it could be worth a look?

Hope it helps

J

thanks so much Jemma!!!! you're a Godsend! i feel so much better after reading that document. at least now i know what is expected and what to expect.(up)

J

Hi JoJo,

No worries at all! It is really stressful trying to work out exactly what the examiner might say. I'm glad the document was useful to you. There should be similar documents out there....I am sure there was one by the british academy for postgrads in general.....

Anyhoo, I was also wanted to say the book on how to survive your viva is reallly good too. It helped me to work out and try and guess which questions the examiner would pick up on for the viva.

Take care and best of luck. Please do post back and let us all know how it went for you, hints and tips etc.

L

MIght not be what you're looking for at this point, but this book is quite useful when thinking about what is going to happen in the viva and selection of examiners:

Tinkler, P. & Jackson, C. (2004) The Doctoral Examination Process: A handbook for students, examiners and supervisors. Berkshire: SRHE & OU Press.

J

thanks Louisa!!!! am so grateful. i will get a copy of the book and have a look. (up)

W

Check your e-mail, Jojo ;-)

J

======= Date Modified 13 Jan 2010 15:19:06 =======
Ok. Walminski 8-)

J

Thanks Walminski. You're a star!!!:-):-):-)

You've made my day. (up)