Chemistry PHD

M

Hi guys,

I am currently about to go into my final year of my BSc (hons) Chemistry Degree and a few things are confusing me. Inbetween my first and second year i undertook research for an industrial company (co-ordinated by the academic lead) and this summer i am currently doing research, after being awarded the Nuffield Foundation Bursary. I was wondering when was the right time to start looking and applying for PHd`s? My modules results for my second are 94,82,81,71,71,61 and i am looking for the field of organic chemistry/synthetic chemistry and medicinal chemistry. I wondered where was best to look for them and for advice on the actual application process. I am currently about to go into my final year of my BSc (hons) Chemistry Degree and a few things are confusing me.

C

Hi Miahoney,

I would start looking for PhD's on the findaphd website as soon as you can, just keep an eye on the website or register for them to send you any Chemistry PhD's to your email.  Projects starting next year could be advertised any time from now to next summer so best to keep in the loop about it! I'm about to start my PhD in October but mine was advertised last December so that's quite a big gap in time! 

What else is confusing you? It is really confusing, I found it like a secret language when I started looking for PhD's!  The applications are different for the different Universities, some basically ask for a CV and a cover letter, some are just a chat with a supervisor and some have big complicated application forms but the advertisements will tell you what is needed for each project or will give you the contact details of someone who will tell you.

Of course if you are interested in making up your own project that is a different process all together - finding a potential supervisor, discussing an idea, working out where to get funding (if you are not self-funding), submitting lots of forms etc etc.

Good luck, once you start reading about project and read through the posts on this website it all starts to become clearer!

=)

Hi Miahoney

Positions are advertised throughout the year and you should probably start looking from September. As Caro says, you can look on FindAPhD for Chemistry PhD studentships. You are certainly doing the right things to make yourself a good candidate. As well as looking on FindAPhD talk with your tutors about who would be a good research group to work for.

If anything else is confusing you have a look at the PhD study section of FindAPhD or post another question here.

H

I am chemistry student. I am highly motivated to proceed such an advanced level course for my carrier as well as to fulfill my curiosity toward research. I have already completed my M.Sc. Industrial chemistry degree from Government College University (2007-2009) and M.Phil in Org/Bio-Chemistry (2010 - 2012 ) from F.C College University Both of these are among top class institution of my country. My research interest includes Synthesis, characterization of biologically active organic and metal-organic complexes with different activities such as MDR, anti-enzymatic activities like; Protease, urease and anti-oxidant activities.
please guide me in this regard and suggest me fully funded scholarship. I have very much high hope by leaving this message here.