choosing a subject?

E

Hello all, I am new here so apologies if this has been asked before.. I am hoping to start studying for a PhD next year and so am trying to get some kind of proposal idea together. I think I am pretty much there with the idea - but I wondered: How did you pick yours? Are they *all* life-changing or problem solving? Mine is centred around sub-culture, identity and communities - I wouldn't call it universe-rocking, discovery-making research but it will be *very* interesting with hopefully new ideas about the particular culture and women's identities in today's society. I just know I am going to get people asking why the hell I am researching such a subject and not trying to discover a cure for cancer or something. Know what I mean?! :$

T

I know what you mean, I want to look at spirituality, which may not be mind blowing for many people but for me, I see it being of great importance and I guess that's what really counts.

By the way, do you have any idea of how you are going to fund your PhD? That is the area in which I am finding difficult at the moment, due to the fact that the university do not have much funding available and have asked for me to look elsewhere for money :-(

E

I think spirituality sounds like a great idea - and yes, really important, without doubt. I would be interested to hear more of your plans actually :)

With regards to funding, I am hoping to apply to the ESRC - but whether I will get anywhere with it I don't know. Funding is my only hope as I wouldn't be able to fund myself. Do you know of any research councils you could apply to? I suppose it depends on what angle or what 'department' you are studying?

N

Hi Emma - I'm at a similar stage to you and also in the social sciences (guessing you are?!), it is really difficult to come up with something before really talking to anyone about it, if you haven't already I'd suggest going to speak to a tutor at your uni if you're studying now, or a past tutor as they'll be able to go through your ideas with you, make suggestions, and help you with your applications. Once you've done that you should feel more confident with yout ideas and more able to write a proposal. I think your ideas sound really interesting as well, and its something that I would like to research myself!
I went to see my MSc tutor the other day and he basically told me to do as much reading as possible now and really engage with my topics, ready to approach potential supervisors in the New Year. I want to do mine around Feminist theory, Psychoanalysis and the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) Programme - will do a qualitative study, probably discourse analysis but not really sure. Apparantly they're 'hot topics' at the moment so hopefully I'll be able to make a contribution but I don't want to come across as boring by wanting to study them, if that makes sense. My ideas have just developed from my UG degree interests and what I am doing for my MSc now, its been a gradual thing really. Good luck, Natassia x

E

Thank you Natassia - that sounds like good advice. I am not currently at Uni but have been in touch with my supervisors from my MA. I am indeed in the social sciences field.
Your topic sounds great - I currently work in supported housing, in a Women's mental well-being project so I am aware of the IAPT teams and am eager to point our clients in their direction! It all sounds like a really positive idea so I hope it works out. Very new, fresh and extremely important so your research sounds like a fab idea. Good luck :)

B

Hi Emma,

I've just started my MA, and am starting my PhD next year, as I've got ESRC 1 + 3 funding. This means that I've already had to propose the research I wanted to do for my PhD, as that was what was looked at during my interview for ESRC funding.

It definitely doesn't have to be life-changing! As long as it looks worthy of doing (e.g there's limited research in that specific field etc), and you make it evident that it is worth doing, then that's all that matters! The area I'm studying for my MA diss, which will also form the basis of my PhD potentially, is definitely not life-changing, it's just something I'm passionate about which hasn't been researched in the way that I intend to research it.

And don't worry about having exact ideas for your proposal- mine has completely changed now! They just want to know that the research you propose could be done, and that you're motivated to do it.

If you want any advice about the ESRC process then let me know!

B

Really sorry about the triple post!!

E

Thanks Button, this is really reassuring! I hope to continue along the same lines as my MA diss, so hopefully that shows a level of commitment! Congrats on getting funding, that must be such a relief - and means you can get on with your MA without worrying about the next stage (I hope?!).
I will certainly call on you if I need any advice - thanks for the offer.
Good luck with your MA :)

E

whoops. I replied to Natassia about a million times, and I'm thinking of a PhD. Pah!