Choosing your institute/anyone worked for Ness or Roslin?

S

Well as i've not had any relevant work experience and I never did an industrial year, this may explain why I have yet to get an interview at Roslin or maybe it could simply be that I'm not good enough. I've had 8 PhD interviews, although I didnt go to all of them since I had offers from other places but I've applied to Roslin 3 times, and have never got an interview. Am now really curious as to what it would take for me to get one, but I don't think I'll apply again as i'm no longer interesred in doing a PhD there.

T

If you've had eight interviews there's no doubt you must be good enough :) I guess everywhere has different criteria, it's quite possible places you got an interview were amongst those who ignored me!

S

Good luck with your interview

S

Teek, going back to your original post, I'm starting my PhD in October at the centre for Infections at the Health Protection Agency and so I will be away form a university setting. Have been told that doing a PhD away from an academic setting may mean that you lose academic perks e.g. clubs and the like but it is better in terms of access to equipment and having a supervisor that is not so busy. So maybe both places are equally as good. I'll have to wait and see.

G

Hi, I'm at Roslin. Just started here last October and I'm enjoying it so far. It's got a different feel to being in a university department (as others have said, it sometimes feels more like a job) but the people are all very friendly. The funding is good (students get a decent budget for consumables, conference attendance and travel etc) and the facilities (such as a computer, desk, lab equipment) are fine. It's a bit of a trek from Edinburgh city centre though, so it would help if you've got a car, or live on a direct bus route

G

Oh, and regarding previous work experience, as far as I know everyone in my research group had previously worked as a tech or research assistant. It's definately a major, major advantage and it's the reason that I got on the PhD. Let me know if you want to know anything else and I'll give you my email address

S

Just out of curiosity gizmo, what area are you working in?

T

Hi Gizmo, thanks for that! I'm flying over from Norway for the interview (Im English, just here on contract) and time on site will be brief, so it would be great to get the lowdown from a current student :) If it's not too specific then any info regarding their interview approach or Colin Farquharson as a supervisor would be much appreciated (he seemed nice but everyone has their own way of working and it helps if you match).
continued....

T

.......Great to know you enjoy it, do you find they're good at supporting your research efforts and enabling you to gain generic skills (ie presenting at conferences, publishing etc)? Is there a system in place for monitoring progress beyond supervisor meetings? Just ask as I've seen friends scuppered by a poor supervisor and no external checks. Lastly....and this will sound bizarre, how conventional are they? I know most academics don't take what's on your head to correlate with what's in it, but I have concerns as to whether they'd appreciate my colourful hair :s
Sorry for the 20 questions, if you honestly don't mind replying to one or two then I can check here, otherwise my email is manga_kitten @ hotmail.com. Cheers!

G

Hey, I'll send you an email regarding specifics about the group, Colin etc but you won't find a better supervisor. There are regular seminars and journal clubs so you should get plenty of chances to practice speaking (I've got to do one soon) and there are public speaking/scientific writing courses held at Roslin. You are also able to attend courses at Edinburgh uni and other places (even abroad in some cases) which will be funded by the BBSRC. And, although Edinburgh's cold it's got to be warmer than Norway!!!!

G

Hi Shanghaichica, I'm working in bone research. Which projects did you apply for?

S

The first time I applied for embryonic stem cell biology, the second time I applied for genetic factors of immunisation and the last time which was about 2 weeks ago I applied for micro RNA regulation of embryonic stem cell differentiation. Have had no luck with any of them