Christian courtship during PhD away from home

R

im not sure if you have noticed but its been over two years since anyone has post anything to this thread. Most of these people are probably long gone and dont use this site anymore. I find it very strange that you are updating after such a long period.

Its time to move on and forget about this girl. there are plenty of other fish in the sea

S

maybe the bf in the USA cheated on her or something happened to him...
maybe she decided she was committed to the wrong person after all...
maybe she has changed and no longer holds the same values...
maybe it's none of your business what she gets up to....
maybe you ought to stop mooning after the poor girl and get a life of your own?! it's 2 years since you first posted, get over it and move on.

P

Quote From jradetzky:

UPDATE UPDATE

I'm devastated. I've just found out that the girl has been with a new boyfriend --not from the US-- for over one year now. What happened to all what she told me about commitment and stuff? What about the previous boyfriend who was working hard and saving for the house back in the US? Now I can say that she came to Oxford looking for a new bf and I just happened to cross her path. Was I wrong to reveal my feelings back then? What a load of rubbish.

No but Jwhatever, do continue, for if you don't what else shall we poor, 'God'forsaken (pun intended) PhDers ever do for some free entertainment?

LMAO!

R

this thread really demonstrates how sheltered an existence some academics live, so wrapped up in their studies and they have no concept of how to deal with other human beings ( or time for that matter). I know this post was in the context of religious, cultural differences and relationships but this isn't an excuse!!! Sounds like this guy needs to get a grip and move on in life. This kind of behavior is bordering on obsessive!!!

C

I'm amazed that thread has been ressurrected again!! I remember it all first time around when it first kicked off, when I was but a first year PhD...

*eye glistens*

P

======= Date Modified 18 Jun 2009 17:30:49 =======
Blimey, this is a *bizarre* thread... crickey, I have not read anything as confusing for a long time...

F

I just managed to procrastinate away an entire hour reading this thread - argh lol :)

R

Quote From chrisrolinski:

I'm amazed that thread has been ressurrected again!! I remember it all first time around when it first kicked off, when I was but a first year PhD...

*eye glistens*

Hahaha me too chris!!! What a blast from the past!!!

R

ill have to admit my first thought was that this was a pisstake but come to think of it, it still might be!!!!

i think the threads on this forum that amuse me the most are:

i want informations on PhD in feild x, want to know good university where can i get funding.

the kind of people that have been spoon fed everything and expect a PhD to drop into their laps.

they can find this website but somehow cant find any information whatsoever on PhDs!!! Brilliant

there isnt so much of that these days but there used to be lots of posts like that a few years ago.

C

======= Date Modified 18 Jun 2009 18:49:22 =======

Quote From rosy:

*eye glistens*

Hahaha me too chris!!! What a blast from the past!!!

lol, I know, right!!!

I thought the original poster was a bit of a homophobic douche to be honest so I was glad to see the back of him:

"But male gays scare me even worse. I can't stand them. I remember one guy I was developing a friendship with and then I realised he was kinda gayish. Yuck":-s

A

Wow, historic thread! I remember this one first time around, too. It is still just as entertaining, and I feel just as sorry for Jradetzky for a myriad of reasons.

G

WOW!! This thread has had me in awe for the past 30 minutes. There is one thing though that I would like to get to the bottom of, and I don't think its been explored here yet.. something "Laura" (I think) mentioned a few thousand replies ago..."Christ on a bike"???...I did'nt realise he rode a bike, I always thought he took the tube!!!

J

I'm only days away from leaving Oxford for good after finishing my PhD. Now I can finally move on, both geographically and emotionally, knowing that I she is just an ordinary girl like anyone else. That's quite a relief to be honest, because all of a sudden I've stopped cherishing and worshipping her false image of perfection. I'm no longer looking for someone "as good" as her. I feel free now.

R

I thought the original poster was a bit of a homophobic douche to be honest so I was glad to see the back of him

Agreed... although looking at the thread, I think he probably offended every group in society, gay/straight, men/women, every religion - that's quite an accomplishment!!! ;-)

Quote From jradetzky:

What I don't like from "women" is that I suspect they want to mate. That sucks! That's why the courtship thing makes so much sense to me.

Quote From jradetzky:

I mean, Christianity it's not as "far-fetched" as Islam or Judaism, is it?