Christian courtship during PhD away from home

T

Would you compare your own mother or sister to a vehicle?
I wouldn't compare my own mother to a vehicle.
What percentage of married life is spent having s*x? I think you mean sex. It depends on the lifestyle you lead.

And what percentage doing something else, like having a conversation, doing home chores, looking after the kids, etc? I like the acid trip

T

Bring your daughter to the slaughter!

NSBM

J

Therefore, I sincerely wish my dream girl marries her bf in the US upon finishing the PhD and that they live happily ever after. It would break my heart to know otherwise.

In the meantime, I should be glad to know that if the "22 yo-Oxbridge PhD student-NSBM-talented cook-family oriented-trilingual girl" class exists (using OO language), in theory, more "instances" should be out there. Unfortunately, I guess most of them are to be found in religious congregations like Christians, Muslims, and the like, and very unlikely somewhere else. It's a tradeoff I suppose.

T

Love is an international language... Peace xx

J

I guess I could start the "Graduate NSBM Society" at my university. That would be really cool.

S

I think the really important thing is that I can't see the Kate Winslet thing either...but then I also think Ms Jolie looks like a fish so what would I know...

J

Huh, I wouldn't mind looking like Kate Winslet or Angelina Jolie.

But on the general subject, I'm not religious but I don't like the sleeping around that seems to be normal/compulsory in British society. And I keep having conversations with non-Brits who tell the same thing: abroad UK women are seen as A)fat B)always dressed in black and c)always drunk and shagging anything. I used to find that offensive until last Friday I went out with a friend and her workmates, and bloody hell they fitted every one of those stereotypes. 40-something women cackling loudly to a packed (family) restaurant about their husbands penises and what they do with them...yeugh.

Sorry, I'm still shuddering from the memory. I don't go out often, I hope most people of that age don't act like that.

S

Oh dear - I always dress in black!!!

J

Yeah, I wondered why anyone would question dressing in black...I can't wear black though cos it makes me look anaemic

J

Yeah. Unfortunately, sleeping around is the unquestioned paradigm of modern society, therefore I think our role as PhD "thinking" students is to question, from a completely secular perspective, whether such a practice has brought any benefits to society as a whole. I think not. "Try before you buy", that's a rubbish approach.

J

As for British society, being a foreigner I completely love it in spite of all its weirdness. I consider an example of a mature, open society that you cannot see, let's say, in the US. Being able to follow NSBM and being respected for it is, for instance, a wonderful example of the absolute freedom available here. As for British women, I consider them among the most beautiful I've ever seen. I wouldn't, however, consider any of them as a potential virtuous wife.

J

Back to the original topic, after reading "I kissed dating goodbye" by US Author Joshua Harris, I'm convinced that the PhD is not compatible with starting a courtship, simply because of the strong commitment required on both fronts. My advice would be to make lots of friends during the PhD, get the degree, settle down -tenure track position, industry or whatever- and then start courting one of your best friends from the PhD if they're locally available. Two years is the recommended time for courtship. I only hope the courtship of my dream girl doesn't go awry after 7 years.

B

Hello everyone!!! I am really quite shocked by these messages!!! Different things are okay for different people. If a woman wants to sleep with 150 men then that is her business and nobody else!!! Placing such strict criteria means you will probably never find anyone. Or the ones you do find will be taken. You sound dangerous almost like a stalker. This poor girl needs to be left alone if she already has a boyfriend. There are more fish in the sea!!! I don't like people who try and steal someone away someone tried to do that with my girlfriend. But that bitch got what she deserved!!!

H

well said bioreactor, although slightly worried as to what happened to the person that p*ssed you off!

P

I think (safe) sex is good & there is nothing wrong with having a lot of it / different partners as long as both people involved are adults and understand the level of emotional attachment that either is or is not there i.e don't confuse it with love.
A lot of people poo poo casual sex or one night stands - but I also think sex can be a lot of fun & doesn't have to be taken so seriously.
Although I am in a monogamous relationship now, I look back on my early 20's with a smile. Even the bad times were good if you know what I mean. Its all about learning, becoming comfortable & understanding life is for living and sex is one of the things humans are meant to do.