Citing a journal article which is under review?

M

Hi all,

I'd like to cite one of my own journal articles in my thesis, but the article is under review. If published, the journal will print the article around the exact time that my thesis is due for hand in.

In Harvard style, is it acceptable to reference it as below?

DOCTOR, MISTER (2014). Article title in Italics, Manuscript submitted for publication.

I guess I wouldn't put the title of the journal in there, just in case it is rejected?

S

Quote From MrDoctor:
Hi all,

I'd like to cite one of my own journal articles in my thesis, but the article is under review. If published, the journal will print the article around the exact time that my thesis is due for hand in.

In Harvard style, is it acceptable to reference it as below?

DOCTOR, MISTER (2014). Article title in Italics, Manuscript submitted for publication.

I guess I wouldn't put the title of the journal in there, just in case it is rejected?

I haven't done this... I personally would say you shouldn't do this as it's not published so means little. If it does get published then definitely add it in then.

Hi MrDoctor,

As Sam said I don't think this is allowed as it hasn't been published. However, if it does get accepted for publication you can put 'in press' in parentheses at the end of the journal title for between then and when it comes out in print. e.g. Doctor, Mister (2014). Article title. Journal Title (in press).

Lemonjuice :)

T

Well you don't really need to cite your own work, unless it's actually published.. all your thesis should be your own work anyway, unless otherwise cited.

M

As the other said, please don't cite your unpublished work.