Citing yourself in a paper for publication 8-)

J

Hi all..

Has anyone ever had to review their own work as part of a literature review in a paper they are writing for publication and cited themselves?

I'm trying to finish up something for publication and have to review my own work. Strange thing is i have to read it all again to see how it differs from everyone else. I have considered the possibility of ignoring it because it is me writing and therefore should not have to acknowledge my work but thought that there might be a gap there..

what would you do? would you cite it or ignore it?

J.

K

Hey jojo! Personally I would just treat it as every other article in the review- I would definitely cite it! In fact I always make a point of citing my papers in new papers I'm writing- it's good to get your work out there and have your name recognised, so I would take every opportunity to cite it! Bear in mind you are writing for other readers, not yourself, and even though you obviously know your own work, other readers may not and may need directing to it! Have fun writing! KB

D

I have been taught that in my field of medical science it is good practice to include your prior work if it was an original piece of research but not if it was a review of others work such as a literature review or systematic review.

C

I, like KB, would cite til i could cite no more .. for the same reasons. However, I'm also agreeing with Dafydd it would only do so if I'd added something to the party.

I would also take the opportunity, if possible, of noting future work that is required - in my field of course. Wins all round then.

Enjoy. Chuff