Clarification on internal examiners - advice welcomed

K

Following my viva last year I was asked to resubmit my thesis and have just been informed (after 14 weeks!) that the examiners will reserve their decision until after another viva. My concern is that my internal examiner (who was the most positive during the original viva) has left the university and is not working anywhere else. I was not informed about this and academic registry have since admitted they had problems contacting her to get the report back regarding the resubmitted thesis, hence the 14 week delay.

My query is what are the regulations regarding internal examiners? Surely an internal has to be currently affiliated with the university? I'm now waiting for a date for the viva, but with the internal examiner not a part of my uni any longer can she/should she still be able to be an examiner?

K

I still haven't heard from the examiners regarding a date for the second viva (now over 4 months since resubmission) despite requesting that my director of studies chases this up. I'm seriously considering seeking some legal advice to see what my options are.

Has anyone gone down the rocky legal road?:-(

J

i think it is best to be patient. (i know you have been patient enough already! but just hang in there and keep reminding them.)

the legal road will only turn the school against you and should only be used when the school has already turned against you and there is no other alternative course of action.