Communication Breakdown!

G

I'm looking for advice on communicating with my external funders. My PhD is funded 50% through the university, 25% though local government and 25% through a local third sector organisation.

When I started out on my PhD almost 2 years ago, the whole team (myself, supervisors and 2 funders) agreed on the broad project aims and also that we would keep in touch at least every 6 - 12 months. This was going well until recently.

4 weeks ago I sent an update email to the whole team with a report attached. All was well except I've had no reply from my 3rd sector funder. I've also seen on this funders website that this person has since stepped down from their role as CEO and is now just a consultant for the organisation. I don't have any other main contacts within this organisation and I'm not sure what to do in regards to communicating my PhD research to them. I do not necessarily need much input from them at this late stage but it would help as data collection is ongoing and they maybe able to help with recruitment.

How do I contact this person without prying or stepping out of line? I have little experience in dealing with multiple agencies and organisations and I'd just like to know if this person still wants to be involved in the research or if perhaps the new CEO wants to be involved or even neither? There is probably a very straight forward solution but I'm been stressing about this so much I think I'm missing it.

Help, advice, sympathy, a firm virtual shaking of the shoulders etc... all very welcome!

Thanks for reading.

GM

T

Go through his personal assistant/admin team? Ask them who is now in charge?

More importantly, is funding from your third sector funder okay?

I'm sorry to ask this, but the change in personnel is something that would concern me as regards funding.

Ian

G

I'm think I may send my funder a personal email to ask something along the lines of whether he would still like to receive updates/attend meetings regarding the research progress or whether he can recommend someone else in the organisation who might benefit from this and to thank him for his support.

As we did meet on several occasions and he is still a consultant/advisor for the organisation, I think this sounds appropriate than emailing an assistant. Thanks though for helping me put this into perspective Timmy.

My funding from both partners and the university is safe until the end of my 3 years, I was assured this from the start, there is no rolling payments or anything like that. Thanks for asking as this might have been a problem otherwise.

I think I have maybe just let my apprehension cloud my judgement on this one. I just need to send a nicely worded email to the funder to say thanks, best of luck for the future and ask about the organisation's involvement in my research from this point on.

It seems much clearer now. Thanks both for the support and advice.

GM