Commuting to Uni

F

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum. I was just wondering if anyone here commutes to the university where they are taking their PhD...? Also, how long a commute do you think would be acceptable before it just became unworkable?

Thanks

A

Hello Freya

Welcome to the forum

I think only you can answer the 'how long a commute is workable?' question. It will depend on many things not least your own personal tolerance for driving or travelling long distances. Other things to consider are the extent of traffic you are likely to encounter (i.e. will you have to travel at peak times which might make your journey longer or will your hours be flexible?), the costs involved, how many times a week will you have to make the journey (can you work at home for part of the week?), is there the possibility to car share with someone to keep down costs/give you a break from driving each day/be greener?!

S

I commute every day (lab-based so working from home not possible) - my morning journey takes 35 minutes - 55 minutes (35 during summer, 55 coming up to Christmas, and 3 hours one day it snowed!), while the evening journey takes ~25 mins. I travel by bus, evening bus is express. I pay £67 for 40 journeys so...£16.75 a week. I've been commuting since I was an undergrad, but Ann's right, the decision is the individual's. I don't want to live at uni, and I don't mind the bus journeys at all, so I'm completely fine with commuting.

A

Yeah (DanB), your posts are beginning to look like mine! For forum posts, I don't think you just can't beat a good smattering of commas (and plenty of asides in parentheses (or double parentheses if you're feeling especially brackety)).

F

Hello Everyone.
Thanks for the replies. The journey I'm thinking of taking would be around 45min on the train and a further 15/20 min by bus. This shouldn't be too much of a problem. I suppose the thing to do would be to use the time travelling to do work or something and to spend long, productive days in Uni..
Thanks again

W

Hi.....Im about to start my PhD but spent 18 months commuting to my Masters Course.

I used the train which cause I got a unizone ticket was MUCH cheaper 38 per week ... took 2 trains an anywher from 50 mins to 3 an a half hours ( well thats not true i gave up half way on that day as I had been going in 3 hours early to use library, so was still 30 miles away an no trains in the snow when my lecture started) So public transport is great but NOT very relyable.

Also for me was lab based an some time had to go over to feed cells (a 15 min job) on weekends which took me 3 an a half ours pretty much as a round trip......not very good way to spend my time

Also are you really g onna be able to work on public transport....peak hours there is just no space youre llucky to get a seat...an the rest of the time its full of noisy schoolkids an mums with screaming kids!!! Urgghhhhhh!!!

W

As you can prob tell I hated commuting there is noting worse than hauling your ass outa bed walkinga mile to the stationin the rain to discover the train is late/canceled due to leaves on the line/ tresspass on the line (this means kids who should be at school are 'playing' on the railway...if they are that stupid...well im not saying what I think!)driver strikes/trackside fire/ arson attempts that couse the tracks to buckle an 4 hour delay's!!

But you do save money...It just wasent for me.....but think this Bracket thing is catching!!!!!

K

My uni and my house are in the same city, but that city being London I'm going to have to commute for about 45 minutes to get there. I was working in Essex for 6 months and I commuted for 2 hours to get there and it actually wasn't as bad as you might think, you get used to it but 2 hours is too much. I reckon any commute under an hour would be fine.

P

You commuted for 2 hours? Each way? That is painful...that is 4 hours of travelling each day. That equates to one sixth of Monday to Friday spent travelling. Wow - it have been a great job. Hope you never forgot something and had to go home to get it!

F

Ah, the Ipod. Surely a must for any commuter!

F

Ah, the Ipod. Surely a must for any commuter.

F

Opps! Double post. Hate it when that happens!

M

Walking is healthy, I was opting to live in walking distance from uni - there is always a necessary bit of workout even if I can't be bothered to go to the gym.
Travelling by coach/train is quite good because you can do work. The thing is I cannot get a routine with that. I do work when I am in the mood, but usually travelling makes me sleepy or someone's chat gets interesting or I watch people or read a magazine because cannot concentrate on anything else. Reading a book is good, you can devote the commuting time to relax instead of work.

I got a place in halls nextdoor to my institute. No commuting, but as they are doing building works just nextdoor to both - the hall and the institute I have no escape from the noise. Some commuting is just healthy

M

plenty of helath and good in my post:)
somehow it wasn't meant to be like that
although healthy lifestyle is good:)
i think i am having a little witt crisis