Competition Funded Projects

M

Would someone mind explaining this to me?

As I understand it the project which receives the best applicant will be awarded the funding.

How does this work in terms of applying?

If a candidate is offered a place, accepts and then finds out someone else got the funding; where does that leave the candidate?

B

Hi

As far as I know, you just apply in the same way but you are in competition with candidates for other projects in the same department as well as the project you have applied for. Basically, I think the department has been allocated a certain amount of funding and the best candidates get their choice of PhD with funding. I think then that the other projects don't go ahead unless the student is self funded.

M

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm thinking of applying for one or two competition funded studentships.

If I were offered a position, I wouldn't be able to go forward if the funding went to another project.

If I do get as far as an interview, I'd be upfront about needing the funding.

Is it reasonable for a candidate to say 'yes' to an offer but on condition that funding becomes available?

S

I think the thing is that for example 6 PhDs are offered but there is only funding for 4.
The best candidtes for 6 will be accepted then the department will choose the best project or student for the 4, the other 2 PhDs don't get funded and are essentially not available at all (probably until the next year)- as far as I'm aware,

So you would either get it with funding, or not at all - I don't think any of them would expect you to find funding - therefore you don't really need to state that you require funding to accept the post - but you can still discuss the funding with them

Good luck

S

M

Thanks for responding...

This means I have a few more options