Conference- Dress Code

S

Hi

I'm packing to go away for a conference ( a whole week) and as it's my first I'm wondering what the dress code is for these things. I'd assumed just my regular uni clothes for the day time (i.e. jeans and a t shirt), but there are a few pre-organised evening events and I'm wondering what people do...do they get changed? Do people 'dress up' for the evening social events?

I have visions of me being either completely overdressed or underdressed. These things do bother me......

Ta!
Silverbobs

U

smart casual or formal professional.

if you're presenting definitely formal.

if you wear jeans + T-shirt people may mistake you for the cleaner.

evenings are more casual - jeans ok here, unless you go to formal gala dinner and then it's formal again.

have fun

K

hi, I'm just back from my first conference abroad. It was in Italy so it was warm but I dressed up for my presentation and I found that peopl got quite dressed up for the evening things. My hotel was quite far from the conference centre and so I didn't have time to change between times so I dressed smartly at all times, but not a suit or anything, just dresses that would suit any occasion.But there was such a mixed bag, some people were v v casual as well. But I would avoid jeans if possible. Hope that's helpful

J

I've just been to my first conference too. I wore smart casual clothes in the day and evening apart from when we went down the pub with the other PhD students then I just wore jeans and a t-shirt. Most people wore smart casual clothes all the time. I took a variety of things with me as I was unsure about what to wear.

I really enjoyed my first conference and learnt lots. Try and talk to as many different people as possible and you should have a good time.

Hope you enjoy it

O

What means smart casual? No jeans and no trainers? Or are jeans acceptable?

P

Hi silverbobs. This topic has come up before (try searching the forum with the keywords 'conference' and 'dress') because all of us seem to have this dilemma when we go to our first conference. I think the general consensus is it depends on the conference you are going to. As I recall, Ann mentioned suits for medical conferences, but I know jeans were acceptable at the microbiology one I went to in Ireland, except for the speakers who put in a bit more effort. Either way, have fun and can I just ask that you try to put in a bit of effort to talk to the people who don't know anybody at the conference please? Nothing more stink than being by yourself in a room of chatting groups of people.

S

Hooo, I remember the dilemma well! But really I find there is a complete mix from the very scruffy (including top professors) to very smart.... I usually try to hit somewhere in the middle - I have to say that I do wear jeans - alot of people do in my field (biology) - but when I give talks or want to make an impression, then I'll dress slightly smarter - non-jeans trousers or skirt and nicer top ... not a suit though. At the conference banquet there's also a mix from jeans with nice top to turned out quite nicely... skirts, spangly tops for the lassies. So I'd go with what you feel comfortable with. For a first conference try smart casual (no trainers, can wear jeans but with smarter top than a t-shirt) - then you can't go far wrong in either direction :o) Enjoy!

S

Thank you to everyone. What a minefield this is!! I'll avoid my usual uniform of jeans and trainers then...better get myself down to primark- I don't think I OWN 8 days worth of smart clothes!!!

C

The Biochem/structural ones I've been on jeans are fine. Most people dressed up for the conference dinner. I'd be smarter if presenting-chance would be a fine thing!
Depends on the size, you could get lost in 800 people easily anyway.
People generally wear what they normally wear at university:casual/smart casual. (maybe dig out those socks and sandals-joke! Although some people may do anyway!)

T

You can't really go wrong with trousers and a shirt, you can always take a tie with you incase you feel really akward without one. I lectuer full time (and do a phd by night) but I always quite enjoy putting on a suit.

Tiggs