conference nerves

J

Hi guys,

So, in January I'm going to do a conference presentation in a far-flung tropical paradise. I'm not nervous about the actual presentation... this isn't my first international conference. What I'm apprehensive about is travelling on my own and not knowing anyone when I get where I'm going. I've also booked a few extra days there to explore because it's too good an opportunity to miss, but now I don't know how I feel about essentially having a "holiday" all on my lonesome.

I've been away to conferences on my own before, but not for this amount of time... I'll have 4 days of me time outside the conference.

So I guess what I'm getting at asking is, has anyone been away on their own before (conference, fieldwork, holiday)? Any advice for me?

I went to an international conference on my own last year. It was quite good, because I wasn't nervous about presenting, as no one knew me!

In terms of actually having to wander around on your own. Take a book or two - one that is appropriate for the conference. I found meal times the worst as everyone sits in little groups and you feel like an american high school kid in the dinner hall, and its very difficult as you don't know which groups speak english and which don't. The key thing is that many people are in the same boat, and a small group of people will not object if you try to speak to them and sit and have lunch etc. and if you really can't do it, then sit with your academically appropriate book.

During the break times you can wander around the posters as well which takes your mind off the fact that you are there on yuor loansome.

For your 'me' time, how about an actual activity like keeping a journal or something?

J

Hmmm... I think I'll be ok at the actual conference. The last two international conference I've been to, I've just mingled and found this a great way to network with other people. A plus about not being from the country you're presenting in is that other delegates tend to be very inquisitive! :-)

It's more the time on my own. I have this "thing" where I don't like doing certain things on my own... like eating out or having a drink in a bar. It makes me really self-conscious... like everyone's going to think I'm a "billy-no-mates". I may just starve while I'm out there. Or live on pot-noodles (I hope the hotel has a kettle).

I need to be more independent/ less self-conscious methinks. 

B

Hi Jinkim,

I've traveled on my own for months at a time (over summer vacations when friends have to work). I usually stay at youth hostels, you might want to try it. There are people of all ages in hostels so it doesn't matter too much how old you are. It's so easy to meet people, and you'll probably have a better time.

are yes, tbh I did live on room service - the people in the hotel thought I was a freak haha. Again a book is useful, have you got a nintendo DS or something to take your mind off sitting on your own? maybe you can take a laptop along and look like your havnig a power lunch/meal

J

I considered staying in a hostel, but then decided it would look unprofessional when the uni booked for me so have settled on a hotel. I'm kind of hoping I'll meet a local at the conference who'll offer to be my personal tourguide. fingers crossed. If that fails, I'll find a beach.... and a good book.