Conference organising - advice needed

O

I’m thinking of organising a conference but having not done so before I don’t know how to go about it. Can anyone give me some basic advice? Thanks.

G

Singlehandedly? That sounds like a lot of work (sorry if that appears negative not meant to). Its just that the ones that I've attended have all been committe run.

O

I was thinking of doing it with someoe else. But from what you say maybe more people are needed. It would only be a small conference.

G

I'm just relating to one I'm going to attent at York - Towards a Social Science of Web 2.0. There are 8 on the Organising Committe.

O

Oh I see.

C

I haven't organized conferences, but I have organized PG seminars for my dept. for a year, and I was the only person in charge. I am not sure that you can compare the two things. However, it was a lot of work: call for papers, selecting the speakers, finding right location/ equipment for everyone; dealing with the unexpected (e.g. the speaker withdraws at the last minute!), prepare the posters for each seminar, etc. It was also great experience, and I got in touch with a lot of people who I wouldn't have had the chance to meet otherwise. But of course, I didn't have to deal with catering, organizing accommodation, etc. which take a lot of time on the top of everything else. Moreover, does your dept. sponsor/fund this conference? Because you always need some budget, however small, to organize these things. I hope that these few lines may be of help.

O

Corinne, thanks. Now that you've said all that I've gone off the idea. There's no way I could do that on my own or with just someone else. The catering side of things alone would be a headache. My department would probably give me a budget for it, though.

C

Hi Orian. I am sorry, I didn't want to put you off! As I said it's hard work, but you can make it if you are enthusiastic about it. We have a College conference once a year, and I know that it is a panel of 4 students who organise it. Do you have the possibility to involve any other PGs and/or member of staff? Do a bit of research before you make your mind up. I think that you can do a good job if you are intersted and find a bit of help. And it would look good on your CV!

O

Corinne, yes I could ask others to help me. But it would, as you say, be quite hard work. But outside of publishing there is little else that can give you the edge when looking for jobs.