Conference self-plagiarism, copyright issues?

Hi guys
I submitted an abstract to a couple of different conferences a while ago, thinking that there was little chance that I would be accepted at either one. However as luck would have it I have been accepted for both.
I didn't think that this would be an issue, however after chatting to my supervisor about it she's said that it could be a problem - if the conference proceedings are to be published then I would be self-plagiarising/breaching copyright if I presented the same paper at both conferences?

Has anyone heard or had to deal with this before? I have to admit I hadn't heard of it, and certainly nothing was outlined on the websites when I submitted each abstract.

Also would this only be an issue if both conferences published proceedings, or could I get away with it if only one did?

Is this an actual issue that I should be looking at?

Please help!

Rachel

B

It's ok to give the same paper twice (although it will look a bit odd on your cv) but not to publish it twice. Try googling the name of the conference and proceedings and see if they do publish them before getting too worried. It's quite discipline specific - in some fields it's very rare, in others common.

Thanks Bewildered, one conference does and one doesn't (I'm interdisciplinary psychology/health) so I think I'll get away with it...!