Conference/symposium submission - a bit confused

T

Hi all

I want to submit a conference abstract, but I am a little confused by the instructions provided. It appears that each talk belongs to a symposium and has a convener (who is the sole contact person for all talks in that slot). Does this mean that I need to have established which symposium I will be part of (if accepted), and who the convener is? Or do I just make my submission and get allocated to a symposium and convener by the conference team? Does the process differ depending on the conference?

Thanks if anyone can shed more light on this!

C

I think it differs from conference to conference. I submitted an abstract to one that was as you described, and the instructions asked us to specify which symposium we felt was the best fit, although all abstracts went to a central place. In the end, I think the conference created an additional symposium, because mine and similar others ended up in a group that I don't think was on the original list! Are there any more details on the application form, e.g. a space for you to put the symposium name?

T

Thanks Chickpea - that makes sense about it differing from conference to conference. I was slightly confused as I had assumed they all worked in the way you described.

But judging by the application form, it appears that to submit an abstract for this conference, you must be part of a group and nominate a convener, whose name goes on the application form and is the sole contact person for all the speakers in that group.

My supervisor has said that no one (at our institution or close research groups) is submitting anything on a similar topic to mine, so there isn't any chance of joining a group.

Thanks for your help.

Learn something new everyday!