Conference tips

M

I'm to be presenting a paper for the first time next week (2-hander with my supervisor) and I'm looking forward to it, but I also have a feeling of nervousness because there's a few things I'm uncertain about.

Firstly, I'm a PowerPoint minimalist -- whenever I've done presentations in the past, I've used slides that have only a picture or two on them (perhaps a small amount of text) and talk over them. Is this a suitable approach for conferences? Or do I need to change my style to suit?

Secondly, and I feel daft about this -- what's the normal procedure for a conference? Do you go into the building, confirm you're there, sit in the audience and wait until you're called up? How do you get your presentation up on the screen? Is there usually somewhere in front of you to hook up a laptop or plug in a memory stick?

I'm a right worrier me :$

D

Hey Mark,

I am all in favour of the minimalist approach. Your slides should be guides to talk around, not to read from. Nothing worse than listening to someone just read off the slide. Put up enough key information that people can digest quickly, then explain it.

Usually someone will "chair" the session - someone to make sure everyone keeps within time limits, introduces the speakers etc. Turn up 5-10 minutes beforehand to get your presentation loaded onto the computer and introduce yourself to the chair. Most conferences will have "technical" people who can assist if anything goes wrong (was my job once at a conference, most fun, not!)

B

If there's several papers being presented, normally all the presenters will sit together at the front and take it in turns to present. I'd take your presentation on a memory stick as that's less likely to go wrong than a laptop connecting to a new system, and there's bound to be a networked computer there (unless they specifically told you otherwise).

I think the best thing to do is to run through your presentation in front of someone with a stopwatch.You're likely to be kept very strictly to the alloted time and that's so easy to overrun especially if you are a bit nervous.

K

You will usually go in the morning to 'register' which just means picking up a name badge and pack full of flyers from a desk :-) Then at all the conferences I've been to we've all sort of hung about making small talk and drinking coffee until the keynote/first panel. It'll all become very clear when you get there- I'll not tell you not to worry though because it would be very hypocritical coming from me ;-)

J

I'd echo what other people have said - usually when you show up and register there will be someone you can talk to - sometimes (depending on how big the conference is) there will be someone who can help you with loading your powerpoint.  If it's a big conference with several parallel sessions then you might find people moving between rooms mid session. In big sessions you might sit at the front on a panel but in smaller sessions you might just sit near the front.

Good Luck and enjoy it - make the most of the opportunities of networking.

M

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2010 23:07:31 =======
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Just to say, it went brilliantly and people commented to my supervisor about how well they thought I did.

I had no idea conferences were like that. I had visions of standing up in front of a room full of people, all sitting in rows like at school assembly. But instead, it was a group of no more than about 50, sitting round desks. It seemed really informal.

Of course, maybe it was just this particular conference that was like that!

M

Hi Mark, dont suppose you are here at the criminology conference in leicester are you?

Tash

M

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2010 23:12:54 =======

Quote From missyk:

Hi Mark, dont suppose you are here at the criminology conference in leicester are you?

Tash

No, the one I was at was a fortnight ago now (doesn't seem that long ago, mind!).

And it's also the wrong discipline!

M

ahh ! Glad yours went well though. dont be nervous with these things so im told, just pretend everyone is a frog and you will laugh !