conferences and sightseeing

B

I recently started my PhD and am discussing with my supervisor some conferences I might like to attend, some of which are abroad. I was just wondering whether there would be opportunities for tourist-type activities and if people usually set time aside for such activities?

D

i think that its to be expected!!!! I went to houston with my supervisor and we skipped a day and went to NASA, anoter conference, my other supervisor told me to go out shopping etc.

I think that if you plan your time well you could go sight-seeing etc. I am going to one next week and that conference has organised sight seeing as part of the schedule.

You will not be interested in everysijngle talk etc.
Go to the dinners etc as thats when you'll get the most networking done. Theyre meant to be fun - so enjoy it!

T

I try and arrive a day early to have a wander around. It's probably quite depressing if you get off the plane and have to sit straight in a conference.

B

Thankyou for your replies. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I think travelling out a day early is a great idea, that way I get to see the sights even if I can't get away with skiving off. If anyone else has stories to share on their experience of sight-seeing while at a conference then please do share.

S

i have found its the senior scientists who slope off for a bit of sight seeing.. and evening events tend to be based around this to. make the most of a paid trip away..!