Confused

N

Hi all,

I am a new PhD student and just started lab in UK as an international. Now it is like almost 1 month completed. I have some problem, well it is not problem I need advise. My all lab mates are Britisher and I am not as fluent in English like them. So most of the time I remain quiet when we are not working in lab. But then somewhere inside I am not feeling good as I think they will not accept me in their group or may be they feel I am rude which is not the case in real. Also I am confused what to speak with them when we are outside the lab. As I am completely from different culture. Can anyone please make me understand British culture and which all kind of stuff I can talk about during casual hours.
Advises are highly appreciated.

Regards

D

Does your University have an international relations office? If so, they could put you in contact with other international students. If you feel worried about making conversations with british lab mates, try not too worry as some people are naturally quieter than others anyway but why not join some clubs, sports etc which require less conversation but will allow you time to adjust to the language barrier while making friends.:-)

C

I'm sure that the other people in your lab will understand that you are still getting used to the language and culture, I'm sure many of them will be curious about your culture. You could just start talking to them in breaks but tell them you have trouble with the language still and they will be more patient with you.

As for what British people talk about, well weather is always a good topic, and generally where you come from, what you do at home, what it was like in your own country, television, music, food and drink, people will talk about anything really! If you don't understand what people are saying don't be afraid to ask them to speak a little slower, there are so many regional accents around that even British people from different places can struggle to understand each other.

Perhaps you could go to an evening class for international students to improve your English and meet other people? As your University most run these type of courses.

I'm sure you will start to make friends soon!

N

Hi Caro and Delta,

Thank you very much for your replies. I now understood that I have to make little extra effort I want to join them. Caro, thanks for ur suggestions about topics for initiating chat.
Yes Delta, I am among such group who are quieter but is it ok in research? Because I am worried than if I have to give presentations or talks my nature will become hurdle? Is it so?

Regards

D

Anyone can be naturally quiet and that's fine just as some people are naturally talkative and that's fine as well and so don't worry about your natural disposition, as most people will get to know your nature and accept you for it. If you are required to give presentations or talks, you will need to overcome your natural quietness and convey your message as effectively as you can. If you are nervous, seek help now and don't wait, learn some relaxation techiques now and don't wait and see if your university do any short communication skills courses for PhD students and try and do one if you can. Language differences can be a barrier but it's a barrier that can be overcome. Practice, practice and practice and you will gain confidence and lower these barriers. Also listen to how the British talk. For example, do they generally talk at a quicker pace or slower pace than you? Seriously, things will improve with practice and so maybe even try to record yourself giving 'pretend' presentations to see how you get on. Don't worry about being quiet in company as listeners are as well received as talkers!

Let us know how you get on.

D

Oh and don't forget to find out if your university has an international relations office and also student support should be able to give you guidance about services and help etc.