Considering a PhD

G

I have recently completed a masters and currently completing a Bachelor of Education. I have been offered to do a PhD next fall. The offer is modest, the topic is of interest and concern to policy makers, but the 3 year program scares me. If I don’t accept, I could always begin teaching or seek employment with the government as a researcher or policy advisor. This professor is retiring in a few years and would be one of his last students. I have been thinking of questions to help with my decision, does anyone have any thoughts?

G

Hi Sonia, you are wise to think about this carefully as a PhD is not something to undertake lightly. It's very hard work and you need to be really enthused about the research to keep you going. Also, most people take a little (sometimes a lot!) longer than 3 years to complete a PhD. Think about whether a PhD is really necessary for you to pursue your chosen career. If you want to be a researcher and/or work in academia then it's definitely worth considering. Good luck!

K

There are a lot of oppertunities for PhD Positions (Studentship, Fellowship, Fullbright Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarship, German Scholarship, Cultural Exchange Program, etc). And there are so many group leadres seeking PhD fellows all around the world.
So, why are you making yourself too limited to a Professor who is going to be retired soon!!!!
Search for any other!!!
Wish you good luck!!

S

How old is this thread? Does anyone think she will answer?

A

And this isn't the first time ancient posts have been dug up...

H

haha poor kausar....LOOK AT THE DATE NEXT TIME

T

I wonder if she has been waiting for more replies before she accepts the PhD hehe

B

lol - Go for it Sonia! Don't delay a minute longer!

S

i wonder what she is doing now...

C

And to think...if she had taken the place...she would be 2 years into her PhD by now...

S

how on earth did someone manage to reply to this after all that time.