contingency...'if I pass'? or 'when I pass'

C

Yesterday over post-seminar coffee anotheer Phd student noted that I kept talking about 'if I pass' whereas they tended to us 'when I pass'. I guess this post is related to the one about finishing the Phd.

I prefer 'if' because then it reminds me of the nature of the PhD and that if can be tough and that passing it isn't automatic, it also fixes that idea in friends and parents heads too. Which is important, I think.

What do you think?

F

I am an 'If I pass' person and it is driving people mad at the moment! I don't personally think I can take passing for granted. Saying that, I am more of a glass is half empty person anyway.

C

I totally understand. People get infuriated and think it is false modesty or fishing for sympathy. But I really don't think completing should ever been taken as given.

although "when" makes you sound like you have a positive attitude, I don't think it changes the fact that it is actually an "if" situation. I have met a couple of people who failed, a few that were given MPhils instead of PhDs and 1 person who's been going on for the last 10 years as he cannot bring his project to viva level.

I wrote the posting above, before seeing your posts. That's sort of what I meant also.

F

Me too 404, which is why I think I am more hesitant. Like you Chrisrollinski, I am not fishing for sympathy or being falsely modest. More like a 'don't count your chickens' situation.

I know my supervisor failed someone in their Masters viva when he was an external, although there did seem to be good reason. I stupidly asked him after saying that I was scared about failing my viva. That will teach me to ask daft questions!

B

I'm a definite "if I pass" person, and I always get people saying the whole "oh, but you'll be fine, off course you'll pass!" when really they have no idea how much of an 'if' it actually is!
Certainly not false modesty here.
Luckily, good friends and family don't give me the usual gumph and will actually listen to my fears without dismissing them.

C

You're right 404. I would say i am definitely a 'When i pass' person. But i think its not just enough to have the +ve attitude but also backing it up with ones efforts to ensure the pass. The 'if i pass' sounds like having a -ve attitude but i agree that some people might not want to sound cheeky.

IMO, always having a +ve attitude always helps, even when things seem otherwise

I say "if".. Not because what people think, but because how it is like. But I wouldn't call myself negative.

I think, not taking it for granted and worrying a little that you might fail, would give you even more positive energy at the viva. Being a nervous and worrying that you might not pass can be a positive thing, it shows that you take it serious and you are aware of the consequences.

fluffymonster will tell us on Monday if the approach of "if" is good, won't you fluffymonster .

("Being nervous", not "Being a nervous")

C

I think the 'if I pass attitude' is a positive one in that is suggests a recognition that it isn't given thing and work will need to be applied to do it.

N

I am a "in the highly unlikely event that I pass" person. That says everything really.

F

Will keep you posted if my anxiety does not send me into a jibbering wreck by Monday.

A

I had to think about this for a while, and i realised I dont think about passing/not passing at all, I just think about finishing - which i will do, but it could be with a degree or not.

C

That's alright aliby. Personally, having the end in sight and the hope of passing it (with the work of course) does it for me