CV for PhD Application

C

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2011 15:30:46 =======
======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2011 15:29:21 =======
Hi guys just wondering if I can get some advice on some issues/concerns which I have at the moment. Im applying for a fully funded studentship (4 years, 1 of which I assume is a training year) but dont have any teaching experience and only acquire the research experience gained through university module projects and dissertation, I also have a conference abstract.

1)What would be the most appropriate structure to take [Personal details], [Education], [Research Interests],[Skills], [Employment], [Publications/Conferences] & [Referees]?

2) Would I separate my dissertation from modules included? would a synopsis of dissertation be appropriate to include?

3) Regarding my research interests, would this be best bullet pointed with a short sentence about future research?, and refering to Q1, is research interests suitable before or after education?

4)Is it worthwhile including employment if its not research or teaching based?

5)Since most of my skills would have been gained or developed through Uni, is it logical to include them within the education section after the actual qualifications or?

Any advice at all is greatly appreaciated.

C

please :) ?

A

======= Date Modified 21 Sep 2011 20:56:00 =======
Hi Chris

It's difficult to answer without knowing what the application asks for. For example, have you been asked for a CV and cover letter or is there a formal application form or have you to put together a proposal yourself? If the proposal, I would go for a) working title, b)Research statment or maybe aims and objectives or research questions your thesis will seek to answer, c) literature 'review', literature in the area that has influenced you d) methodological approach, with broad outline of what you propose to do d). Why not look at another funding body and sneak a peek at their application form and tailor your proposal accordingly! It is a proposal afterall so you are not expected to know everything (why would you be doing a PhD then??) but you are expected to have a braod idea of your topic, how you see it progressing and the approach you intend taking.

Re: your other questions: if you did well in your dissertation you could briefly go through it under the type of headings I have already mentioned - also include your findings.
Re: research skills, pull out modules you did well in and briefly mention them. Maybe go back to the module outline and 'steal' their learning outcomes(lol)
Re: Employment - good to mention in that it shows you are able to multi-task and you could tease out transferable skills you have gained from it. However if it's not relevant, don't go overboard with details. I wouldn't worry about no teaching experience - what undergrad has that unless you did voluntary teaching or TEFL etc etc but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Have you ever worked as a demonstrator?

You ask a lot of questions which are difficult to answer because it all depends! that is it depends on what you have been asked to provide. If it's a CV that's required, I would go for a basic academic-type CV, ie put your education first, with results gained etc. Then employment and then other interests. If it's an application, follow it to the letter. If it's a proposal you have to put together, as I say, go to another funding body's website and have a look at what they are looking for. Pretty much everywhere is looking for 'working title', literature in the area, methodological approach. Don't pre-empt any findings in your proposal.

Hope that helped a bit, or did it just confuse??

Good luck

C

Thanks for the reply,

Its simply just a CV i have to submit, however I was thinking of also attaching a cover letter but may not be needed. To be honest this project is looking at an area or even field I have no prior knowledge of, however the fact thats its fully funded, close by and of course interests me made me want to apply for it. I have no doubt I can learn alot of background material for it however do you think its the wrong way to go about things or simply wait it out and see if a more appropriate project comes to light?

C

I can't imagine they only want a CV with no cover letter, this seems a bit odd.  I would include a cover letter even if it is not asked for, and in that you can say why you want to do the project and why you are suited and your research interests. The CV stick to a standard academic type as Ady says and definitely include your employment history, every job shows that you have some skills for example time keeping, project management, reliability etc. 

I would keep the education section as just an overall grade, a list of subjects studied and a description of your undergrad project.  You can add a skills section at some point and list all your relevant skills with examples, like computing skills, lab/research skills etc.

That's jusy my suggestions though, there are other ways to do it.

Good luck

A

======= Date Modified 22 Sep 2011 13:37:17 =======
See Caro's reply and I was going to say the same; I would definetely include a cover letter and only not do so if they state 'no cover letter required'. Although you have no experience in the field you must have an interest in it so I would try to convey in the cover letter what interests you about the area so you could outline some of the key commentators in that area or some of the seminal papers you are aware of. Try to convey enthusiasm which is next to impossible to do in a CV, hence why a cover letter is so important.

Good luck(up)