CV - putting in publication that has been submitted but is out for review

J

Hi
I am applying for a post at another university (the one where I am taking my PhD). I have come a v close second twice in the last year but the sticking point was not being registered for PhD (that is now sorted) and publication record. I am just putting the finishing touches to a paper for submission to a journal (I have already been in touch with the editor and she has said very encouraging things about the subject). Is there any (honest) way I can include this in my application - I think she will send it out for review but it won't be done in time for the job application so is there anything I can put that isn't a lie (ie I'm not going to say anything that suggests it has been accepted) but I'd like to put it in there.

B

Can't you just use the obvious "submitted for publication" words?

I either put (in prep) or (submitted)

K

Yes, I agree with the others. I've also seen CV's with a 'work in progress' subsection which I think is a good idea.

J

Thanks everyone - I knew you would have the answer I was struggling to find.

J

OK so I am being really thick here (in my defence I have had a really productive couple of days on my lit review and I think my brain is worn out) - when you put submitted you can say where it has been submitted but I have two papers in preparation - one I know where it is going but one I don't know where to send it. - what should / could I put - just "in preparation"

======= Date Modified 30 May 2010 21:52:14 =======
For ones where I have submitted I put Sneaks (submitted) the role of procrastination in PhD lives. Journal of procrastination.

And for ones I'm preparing I put Sneaks (in prep), but if I know where I'm going to submit it to I will also add the journal as in example 1. - especially if its high impact, - so they can see what I'm aiming for.

J

Thanks Sneaks you are a star (and I would give you an extra star if I knew how to do it so have a (gift) instead). 

I've put "submitted to J of ... (May)" for the one I am submitting end of this week and "in preparation for submission to the 'J of Not very good (but an impressive sounding name) but my head of department knows the editor and has promised her some articles' "and one just "in preparation". I have one journal in mind for that but it isn't in my field (tourism) it's in geology and I think I should aim for a tourism one (even though the paper would have more impact - although not necessarily for the right reasons - in the geology one).

B

I'd agree with Sneaks on how to phrase it. Is the dept you are applying to likely to be entered for the REF? If so, it might be helpful in your c.v. to make it clear what your REF entry would look like. If not, I'd still clearly separate work submitted from work in preparation (make it two separate categories), as it makes the submitted stuff stand out better.

K

Hey! Yeah, I have used KB (submitted) to reference a paper that is currently under review in a paper I am writing at the moment and will soon be submitting for publication- my sup says that's fine. I have also seen other people reference as KB (manuscript in preparation) to ref a paper that hasn't actually yet been submitted. Just be careful though when it comes to actually submitting papers for publication- I was browsing through some journal websites the other day trying to decide where to submit the next paper to and a couple of journals actually stated that they didn't accept references for work that was 'submitted'.But if it's just going on your CV then I think it's fine to do the (submitted) thing! Good luck! KB