decent filing system?

S

taking the paranoia a bit further - I back up the data to disk and keep it at my mums for fear that not only will my computer break - it will most likely be stolen or burned in a fire or both

I would be gutted to loose a weeks writing let alone a day!

still! its probably taking it a bit far

O

I have a system like Rosy's--piles of related things. How they relate sometimes changes, and then the piles get re-arranged. It is a bit like archaelogy at times, going on a big dig. This is all complicated by my overseas move. I brought one case completely heaving full of books and articles--but left even more behind... I had to select which ones I needed the most, or would be difficult to access over here in the UK.

Actually--it works---for some reason I seem to have good recall even months later, that so and so did an article on such and such, and can locate the article and go on from there.

I think my lowest moment in organization was when my darling male puppy showed off one of his developmental milestones, lifting his hindleg and having a wee all over a stack of articles...

O

One of the most efficient backup systems on drafts is to email them to yourself, if you have a web based email account, then you can get to them from any computer. I did this as a safeguard when moving to the UK, in addition to backing up on my memory stick. I had one horrible moment when I misplaced my memory stick before leaving the US and wanted to just lay down on the floor and melt in despair. But I DID have all of the relevant things emailed to myself, and I DID find the memory stick!

A

Does a pile on my bedroom floor count?

O

Only ONE pile? No---you need lots and lots of piles, so many piles that crossing the floor is like ice skating! Well ordered piles, crazily leaning piles, piles that have fallen over! All manner and method of piles. Then it counts.

R

I agree Olivia, lots and lots of piles - and then if you stick one post-it on top of each pile you can call it an ORGANISED mess