Decided to quit my PhD

A

I have been struggling with my PhD for the past 9 months (started PhD in sep 2011) and I have decided to quit and move on. I was awarded a PhD scholarship in Science with good money. But soon I lost interest and felt depressed. I see no point of knocking the wrong door and have decided to look for other jobs with my degree. Before I tell my supervisor I want to secure a job but all posts ask for reference. Can anyone help me what to do with the reference thing ?

Thank you!

D

You can normally opt not to have a potential employer seek references until after they have interviewed you or provisionally offered you a post. Any jobs I've applied for have this option.

Good luck with the job hunting and I think you're doing the right thing in trying to secure a job first before quitting your PhD.

A

Thank you very much Delta.

D

No problem. I hope happier times are ahead and you're successful in your job search

It's a brave decision to quit when you decide a path through life is not for you. Best of luck for the future.

I agree with Delta that you're doing the right thing, not quitting until you've found a job.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

I really admire you for having the courage and strength to quit something you are not enjoying. I feel the same as you about my PhD at the moment but I'm too scared to quit even though I know it would be the best option.

J

Well done on making you decision. I left my phd after 9 months and people arund me said you must complete it. But, it was not something I enjoyed as I am not the type who enjoys working in isolation. The most important thing in life is to be happy. I am much happier not doing he phd which bored me.

Have you anyone else who can give you a reference from prio to stating our phd? Eg degree or postgraduate tutor. Some voluntary work may also be a good idea ....

Keep me posted

M

Hi,

You may have taken a wise decision in your best interests. Would you share with us the details of the reasons of your quitting the program.
Your explanations may help aspirant PhD candidates or current ones better reflect on their situation. I have the intuition that, PhD students
are the most isolated and misunderstood persons in society. What do you think.

Maria Livingstone