Decision: accept low PhD offer or reject and wait?

E

I have a PhD offer from a low university. The Professor has good publications, but his doctoral students and the university students are really low qualified. For example, the students have no IT nor Math skills and I couldn't find anyone working at a notable company. I really fear that going there would actually lower my education.
However, I have no better alternative so far. I have some other applications I would possibly prefer, but they will not be decided in the next weeks and I dont even know for sure whether these would fit better. It may be that I end up with nothing after all.

My father says I should wait for a better offer and take the risk to reject. My mother says I should be happy for some easy time there and no need to go for top education, rather just get the PhD and chill out.

Now I think they both right and can't decide. Maybe someone had a similar problem or experience, for advice?

E.g. I noticed a similar situation here http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/9039/how-to-deal-with-the-frustration-of-doing-phd-at-a-low-ranked-university

Answers would be really appreciated. Thanks

H

Hi there,

To be honest, it's not always the university ranking that is the most important factor - it might be a 'low ranking' university but the department might be one of the very best, if you see what I mean? And your supervisor matters more than having a swanky uni on your C.V, in my (very, very humble) opinion.

What do you mean by 'the students are low qualified?' Do you mean that the entry requirements are lower than other universities, or that they have not taken advantage of extra doctoral training? As for not working at a reputable company, do you mean the current students or alumni? Because unless it's an industry-based PhD, full-time PhD students are not likely to also be in paid employment (this scenario is UK based, mind. I don't know how this works in other parts of the world).

Only you know what is right for you. Do you have to accept the offer before the outcome of your other applications is known? Some people have no problem with accepting a place but then withdrawing if they get a better offer, other folk are not so happy to do this, but it is an option that some people consider (there are some threads elsewhere on this forum about such a dilemma, I believe).

Good luck!