Defining Philosophical Position

T

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2012 19:54:21 =======
Hi All

I had my first year review last week, which was a report of 10,000 words and a viva. I passed without a problem, but a the viva the panel asked questions about the philosophical position in terms of my ontology and epistemology. Whilst I managed a weak response I quickly realised this area of my research needs serious strengthening, indeed the chair of the panel and in fairness my supervisor for the last few months both emphasised that a PhD is based in Philosophy so understanding this is going to be critical.

Yet I find this element of the PhD the most difficult, could anybody recommend some introductory texts which will allow me to develop an understanding of the different approaches. I have so far been pointed towards Crotty and Guba, are these the best texts? Or should I read some more focused philosophy texts specific to the branch of philosophy I intend to use?

L

Hi Tester,

I can certainly sympathise with you as this has always been my weakness in terms of my PhD. I am very much hands on and practical, and it has taken a lot of reading to feel comfortable with philosophy. The recommendation of Crotty and Guba are certainly good ones, I swear by Crotty and am constantly going back to him! It all started to make more sense for me when I'd started my fieldwork and analysis, and on reading about other people's experiences as novice researchers.

I really hope that helps you a bit, don't feel like you're on your own because I have experienced the same feelings as you. It will start to fall into place as you go along (up) and well done on passing your first year review!