Defining the research title and writing up the research proposal...Advice needed.

K

Hi all, my background is in Public Health and I'm considering to do a Phd in this field. I would like to do this next year in the UK. I have a strong interest in HIV/AIDS and the impact of this in Jamaica however being a novice to primary research I am not sure how to go about this. In particular defining the research title and the content of the research proposal hence any tips, advice or a point in the right direction of a website, book or journal to read will be greatly appreciated.

L

Hi,

It's not my area, I'll confess, but I think when you're considering starting any new research project you need to read widely around the subject. Try SCOPUS, Web of Knowledge, even good old Google Scholar and type "HIV/AIDS" "HIV/AIDS Jamaica" then read! Look for gaps in the current literature and areas that interest you. What do you want to know about the impact of HIV/AIDS? How can you find this out? What methods would you use etc... Then you're almost half way there! I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but I remember being lost in the early days of my PhD!

Hope that's a bit helpful :$

K

Very helpful, Thank you. (up)