Degree straight to PhD

J

Is there anubody here who has gone from a Degree staright to a PhD? My tutor thinks I able, but have heard it is difficult to persuade the interviewees of this.

S

Depends on your subject area. Science, yes. Social science you will need a Masters first.

C

Yeah, 6kitten is right. It's a lot easier to go from a degree to a PhD in the sciences/Engineering but for social sciences, it might be a lot harder.

I also finished a degree and will be commencing a PhD soon (should've been this month if not for my supervisor's incompetence!) Well, the month's not over yet, so I’ll have to see.

If your supervisor thinks you're able, then go for it. They have obviously evaluated your skills and trust them enough to handle a PhD.

All the best.

D

Generally I'd concurr that in social sciences it's idea to go for the Masters first. I had the oppurtunity to go straight from Ba to PhD in History. Out of personal choice I elected to do a Masters first. I'm glad I did since not only to you get the chance to develop some necessary skills, but also the chance to see if you love your subject and can stand the thought of 3-4 years more research. I discovered I loved my subject, developed my wrting style further and am now in the 2nd year of a PhD. If your supervisor says you're up to it, it's a great vote of confidence but don't feel pressurised!