Degree straight to PHD

J

Newly joined, enjoying the message board so far.
My tutor believes I have the capability to go straight from studying my degree to a PhD. She has agreed to be my advisor and is behind me putting in the application. I have read though that it is difficult to get an interviewer to be fully convinced.......anybody gone straight from Degree to PhD?

S

I did just that, straight from BSc to PhD. Had to get a First on both degree and dissertation though. If you're advisor thinks you'd make a good research student you go for it!

A

Yeah, no problem, go for it! It's not that uncommon in the Sciences (although the 1+3yr PhDs are becoming more common). Good luck!

J

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to do my PhD in Linguistics. I have a background of project research and I am enthusiastic about the topic. I'll get on with the proposal then

S

Are you applying to your own uni or somewhere else? Thought I'd ask, as there are certain things you should do before applying to a new place.

J

I am applying to my own Uni, but was told I should apply to other institutions too.

S

Yes, to improve your chances of getting a place, but also to experience how other places work.

What I was going to say about other unis is to contact potential supervisors and basically charm them so they like you and will help you with your proposal. This will improve your chances of getting funding as you will have them on side. Also, they will be expecting your proposal when it arrives at the uni.

Or put another way, think of what you can do to get ahead of the competition.

A

I was in your exact situation lasy year! I was completing my undergrad and was planning to proceed straight to a PhD in European linguisitcs. I had the full support of my supervisor and she was really keen. I was getting caught up in her enthusiasm before I knew what was going on.

Just be careful and be aware that it is expected to have an MA in the humanities before a PhD. I'm doing an MA now and I think that going straight to the PhD would have missed a vital step. I'm applying to start a PhD in September.

Good luck!

S

i did and its never been a problem that i didnt to a masters.

C

Yeah, I finshed last year and will be starting mine next month. I doubt there'd be any problems with coming straight from a degree course.

A

like apostrophe says, in the humanities it is much more the done thing to have a masters first, and if you are hoping to get funding it is pretty much obligatory

J

Thanks everybody has been really helpful. I am going to try and put together a proposal, just finding it difficult though when got so much other work to do.

S

Don't know about linguistics, but in humanities and social sciences a Masters is compulsory

C

Mine is in Engineering, so it a masters isn't compulsory but i have to go the MPhil/PhD route instead.