Delay in admission...

A

I have applied to University for a PhD and it was after the deadline. However, in the beginning of May I got the mail from Prof. that there will be opportunities not starting from August, but later - in January semester. I thought I was admitted, since they got all of my documents! But then I was mailing with Prof. about the research he does in his lab, I assured him I am interested and so. We also talked over the phone two and a half weeks ago. He said he has to talk over some details with graduate admissions lady. Now I'm still waiting and I wrote e-mails to both of them and I'm really worried, about the delay and waiting.... I don't know whether I should look for another PhD (but this one is interesting for me and I don't know if I will find one like this somewhere else... especially that the clock is ticking and I'm doing nothing now!). Last mail I wrote was this Monday.. He said he will give me the reply this week and I's already almost finished . I'm just depressed, what should I do, call ? I don't want to appear a stocker but the waiting in vain is so frustrating :-(
What should I do? Do you think I will still have a chance to apply to other advisor? I spend a lot of money for the application process, as the international student... Can they delay so much? :-s:-(

M

It is frustrating to be waiting on such a decision especially when it's something you really really want. However, as someone who's worked in admin at different unis I can honestly say that sometimes it's not as simple as the academic saying yes we will have you or no we won't. There's a lot of discussion about budgets, whether the academic has capacity to take on a new phd student (especially if they already have a few), whether they can or want to fit in more supervision around their other commitments, whether the uni/dept will fund another student etc etc. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes which you might not be aware of and this is what's taking so long. It may be that the Prof has a question about budgets but the person he needs to talk to is on holiday, off sick, away training etc and that's why he's not got back to you. Maybe they are checking out your docs? Sometimes we use to contact the candidates institution to confirm results etc. Maybe leave it til Monday afternoon and give him a ring to see how it's going or maybe Tursday morning? Do what feels right. At some point he will have to give you an answer either way. Until then it wouldn't hurt to carry on looking for another position. You may not need it but if you do then you'll have already started the process and it's keeps your mind occupied whilst your waiting.

If he said he would get back to by today then he really should have done so or at least told you he needs more time.

Don't give up just yet though, keep pressing til you get an answer. Very best of luck with this let us know how you get on.

A

Milly_Cat :-) Thank you for the answer so much. I might not be as much aware of the process of admitting students, but since that Prof. said "several students graduate soon" - then there is more places than one to fill up. Especially that they have my docs since April. I have already started looking for other PhDs, but I am already frustrated about the costs I will have to pay for all the applications and asking again for recommendations. What I hold on it to hope that if they withheld my application so long, then they would be fair and rather say "yes", because it seems fair. I understand they must have a lot of applicants and want the best ones, but still, making people wait and knowing their career is stopped at this time, seems quite ignorant. Come on, it is a PhD, not a job like a waitress or a housekeeper, we want to have our career plan with every detail and not to loose time. Harsh words, but I'm frustrated now. Thank you again for rational advice and I will do as you said. I felt ignored by Prof . and don't know if that means good that he takes more time than he said to make a decision, or bad because he is already not respecting me by not holding his promises.
Uff.. I hope that decision would be positive and of course I will say here what is will be , regardless of response... Now I'm going to read this useful forum a little more ;-)