Depressed, hyper, tired, can't sleep

J

Who else feels like the topic title?
I felt somehow really sad and depressed the whole day, unable to focus on work, also strangely hyper, rearranging the furniture in the middle of the night, cleaning the place, just went to ASDA in the middle of the night. But I know that it will be impossible to sleep, despite no caffeine today. The pressure is very high, all these ups and downs, who else is getting fed up with this neverending torture process?

J

In addition, I really miss my home town, my family, my relatives and my friends. I've lived in England for so many years but homesickness comes and goes in waves somehow. Right now it's on a peak. How do other people handle these things?

M

Hi fellow insomniac! Snap! I am having lots of days like this lately... to answer how I deal with them, well, there isn't really a straight forward answer but I guess I just try to get as far away from the PhD as possible (not literally but sometimes that helps too ;)) to clear my head (that VERY hard sometimes, I know) and then try to go back into it afresh. I've also found talking to someone about it helps lots too. Other than that, I guess I cope somehow because I'm still here - a sucker for punishment.
Where are you from originally, Jouri?

M

If you do decide to go out or whatever, try not to feel guilty for doing so as that sort of thing eats me up and then I end up feeling even worse about going out and getting a change of scenery!
To me there is huge difference between relaxing from the PhD and relaxing-but-feeling-guilty-about-relaxing, if you know what I mean. Heh, it's late!

J

Thanks, that makes sense.
I'm from Austria, by the way.

I really think I need a break but it was going relatively well over the last six weeks or so, so I didn't want to lose the momentum. Because that could possibly result in 3 months of inactivity, happened before. I need a final push. But I feel I'm reaching my limits. So I will follow your advice first and not work tomorrow and go for a walk at the beach or something instead.

good luck with your all nighter!

M

It's a funny thing in that your health is very important and you don't want to burn yourself out and you can't work with feeling like that etc. and yet you can't go too far the other way either. Maybe your body is trying to tell you that you have earned yourself a break!
Oh, by the way, I'm not working, I've been messing around on the internet for the past 2 and a half hours! Think I may call it a night and try to sleep!
Good night! Hope you have a good day tomorrow and start to feel a bit more positive about things