Did i choose the wrong PhD whilst i was mentally not there!!

N

I started a PhD in Nov06, since Feb07 i have been off sick with post traumatic stress disorder and anxiety, I am hoping to return after xmas. I have recently realised that although the PhD route is what i want, i think due to my state of mind (when i chose my PhD)although interesting its not where my focus is. Ive since found the area i wish to pursue (after serious consideration) and i feel its right.I know leaving a PhD can be looked down upon, so im unsure that if/when i apply for a new phd, should i mention the previous one and how it may be looked upon? I have a toddler and was thinking of mentioning that i was on maternity leave (i never really had any whilst i was a undergraduate), rather than saying i had left a PhD.I know i dont have to disclose my mental health problems as they wont impact on my PhD now they have been resolved, but im unsure as to what i should say to the proposed university. It has taken me time to get well and make this decision and i dont want to mess it up.

F

Welcome back, I have depression and broke down during year one! I hope you do what you want to do, and don't feel pressurised into anything but what your happy with!