Did I write off my chances?

J

I would like to apply for a Phd in Law at University College London or any of the London family universities. UCL requests an average GPA of 3.2. I had 3.11 with honours. I attended a top 20 UK university for my MA. I passed with just a 60 percent average (61 on my thesis) I guess that makes me an "average" student. Now, the question is: should I not even bother getting in touch with potential supervisors?

M

I don't know how hard it is to get on to a law PhD in London but as so much of it comes down to your thesis topic and how well you'd fit with your prospective supervisor, I would definitely start by contacting people most relevant to what you want to do. There's not really anything to lose. Also, the sad fact is most universities will take anyone on a PhD who can pay the fees. Much harder will be if you need to get funding where your academic achievement in the past will count quite a bit. However, with a good undergraduate degree and good references you may find having an average MA won't be a problem - after all 60 isn't at all bad, especially at a top 20 university. Again, as so much seems to come down to what you want to research and the quality of your proposal, not to mention the particular interests of the panel or what's 'in' that year, a small academic setback may not prohibit anything. Might be worth thinking about why you didn't get as high an MA result as you might have expected. If you think there were problems with your work that might affect a PhD or come out in a reference, perhaps you should address them directly with a prospective supervisor whilst making sure to emphasize all your good points too!

M

Hi James,

It's hard to say whether you'd be successful at one of the London colleges because you do not say where your first degree is from (lots of countries use a GPA system), and whether or not it's a law degree, and whether it's from a top-class/tier university.

Generally, LSE, UCL, KCL, and QMUL all require at least a 2.1 and at least a merit at masters. If I recall correctly, KCL and LSE equates a British 2.1 to a 3.5 GPA (US degree), and QMUL require at least 65% in a master's dissertation. I'd be surprised if UCL has an lesser standards (in fact, probably higher).

These requirements can be waived by some colleges if you have professional experience.

You seem to be bang on a border-line case - just looking purely at your quals, and assuming your GPA is a US degree.

However, I know people who have not met those qualifications and gained admission into the London law schools. I also know some Americans and Canadians who have got on PhD courses at Oxbridge with a GPA that does not meet a UK first class degree.

Being an international student and being willing to pay international fees, will obviously help your case.

I'd definitely recommend that you continue to apply and approach supervisors.