Didn't she come on here not long ago?

G

See this article in yesterdays Educational Guardian [http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/postgraduate/story/0,,1822626,00.html ].

J

yeah i think i remember her asking people to share their experiences about not completing. I couldn't read all that article, its too scary!

S

Yes - she said she'd been writing hers for 20 years

lol

S

I think she has issues - especially the bit about writing PhD (pending) on her CV. The article was more about her than anything else

W

I just read the article. I agree with Jen, it is scary! I guess it is the desire to avoid that regret (and potential damage to my career) that's keeping me going some days.

S

Note to self: idea for paying for PhD
Write lots of self-important articles about ME ME ME and get paid for it while basking in my own ego

T

'I have dragged my incomplete thesis with me wherever I go - the piles of notes, books and drafts' Must be a bugger on the tube during rush hour.

Is there anyone here in a similar boat to her, taking so long to complete?

M

I am so eager to start that I cannot imagine I could ever have a problem to finish. I am not saying it is easy but I am sure I would do it within planned time.
The only thing that comes to my mind is that there is something wrong with the choice of candidates, maybe wrong people are picked...

I guess I might change my mind once I face such problem.

S

I'm very doubtful I'd complete mine within the time. In the early days when I said i was going to do it 3 years everyone (and I mean everyone) laughed. 3.5 years seems reasonable.

T

Just a thought about this.. If she invested the time spent writing articles into time writing her thesis maybe it would be finished now??

A

Re: PhD (submission pending) - surely that is completely false as she wouldn't be allowed to submit it after 20 years??? I doubt the Uni has received 20 years of registration fees!

T

I seem to be picking it up easily.. maybe I am a natural?

S

DanB - I sell PhDs in Cattyness through Belford if you're interested? Tricky is certainly demonstrating the 'life experience' I look for in my £19.99 (plus VAT) doctorate awards...

H

Maybe we should all club together and get a degree from Belford?