Different types of papers (conference paper, journal article...)

H

Hello everyone
May be it is a stupid question but I really need to ask this,
What is the difference between conference paper, seminar paper, journal article and working paper?
Is there any other type (besides the above mentioned types) of paper that can add to my CV?
Kind regards
H

S

Hi there

A conference paper is what you submit when you're presenting at a conference. It's formal, and normally gets peer reviewed. It could come out in a volume produced for the conference. A seminar paper is a lot more informal - the seminar papers I've done haven't been peer reviewed, and have been slightly less rigorous. A conference will have many attendees, lots of sesssions etc, a seminar is just like at uni - a class essentially for academics and other interested parties.

A journal article is the best of the bunch, rigorous, academic, and peer reviewed. A working paper is also less formal, is a finished paper but may not have been peer reviewed. These don't get presented.

I'm in social sciences, could be different for other disciplines. Hope this helps.

H

Hi everyone

Thank you Sue, for explaining me different types of papers. Yes I am in social science too.

If I can bother you (and everyone) with one more question, I would like to ask you the difference between journal article and conference paper. Based on what you said it seems that both journal article and conference paper are peer reviewed and academic.

Does the paper need to be peer reviewed before submitting it in a conference or any working paper can be submitted in a conference where it gets peer reviewed?

For a journal article, the best way to get published is to email the working paper to a journal, correct?

Also, is there any other way I can build up my CV while doing my PhD?

Kind regards

H

:-)

S

Not all conference papers get peer reviewed, but most of the ones I've done have been. In my experience, conference papers have only been reviewed by one person. A journal paper, on the other hand, is reviewed by two people, who are exceedingly rigorous - and have demolished my papers on more than one occasion, requiring major rewrites. It's a lot harder to get an article into a journal than it is to a conference, at least a local conference. You should talk to your supervisor about all this, and see what they suggest, which journal articles are most appropriate, and to get their feedback on anything you intend to submit.

These are the main things to get onto your cv - teaching experience too, if you want to be an academic.

H

Thank you Sue (up)

S

Hi everyone,

I am a new PhD student. I just need to know, can I use working papers as reference in my Thesis. How it will be accepted?
BR
S

You can use a working paper. However you should give it way less credit than a published paper. Publishing a paper usually takes years (doing research, writing draft paper, contact journals, get it peer reviewed etc. etc.). A working paper is usually a good draft.

Use it in this way: "Currently Johnson is researching x and his findings contradict y. This thesis will use the same methods as Johnson...". So just use it for "inspiration" and it is probably better to not use it for facts. This way you will be safe ;-)

S

Hi Jack,

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions.

BR
Sher