Difficult decisions: Great PhD offer or good job..

H

Andy, what's the PhD about?

B

Andy - it really depends on a few things but I would suggest that you stick out the job for a year or so, explaining your reasons for it to the potential supervisor and saying that you might be interested in doing the PhD at a later date (if he is sound, he will understand). In about six months you should know more of the work environment and your promotion chances and whether you would like to go back to get the PhD on a personal level. If you do want to do the PhD then, you would have plenty of time to get things together i.e. a bit of savings for the first years expenses. Also, it might be a good chance to save up for a few months travel/holidays or a decent car.
It is good to just check whether or not you do like the 9-5 existence and it would look good on your C.V. in the long term.
One more thing - who says that your current employer might not be interested in sponsoring your research?
Sorry for the rambling nature - its Friday and I haven't had a beer in a long time :P

B

Sorry should have stated that while I realise that the offer is probably a fairly decent one, there are more important considerations. I am not familiar with the system of offers in the English system but would assume that if you approached the college again in a year or so, they would listen to you (IF the desire to research is still there at that stage !!). The work experience will stand to you and may give you insights into areas you would wish to research.
If really stuck, let the flip of a coin decide - when you are just about to hand in your notice/turn down the Cambridge offer, you'll find out what you want to do. Sweet J€sus - I sound like an episode of "Dawson's Creek" now! Whatever you do, enjoy the weekend.

A

The PhD is in mitochondrial transporters and the job is in sleep research. The company do offer PhD funding but only if you have been there 3 years or more. I hope that if I stay on in my job for a year or so i will get an opportunity as good in the future...

C

hello all,

I have read this discussion as I am facing a similar dilemma. I am now finishing my MA in Mathematics Education and I have 2 options:either to go back to my country and work as a primary school teacher(though I can only work as a replacement teacher for now) or apply for a phd that my professors have been encouraging me to do.But I haven't had any work experience and I always said that after my MA I would like to work. However the opportunity for a phd is here and may not come again...though I am not fully sure that I would like to do it...so I am in a big confusion!

A

Well after long and difficult debates with just about everyone, ive decided to take the phd but have deferred until january. Anyone else started mid year? will it be much of a problem or just result in a later finish.

Thanks everyone for your opinions

C

Hey Andy, I started in january and it hasn't made any difference. The only difference it could make is if you are doing any taught modules. And that I'll (hopefully) be handing in on new years eve...which I imagine will lead to a rather blurrier-than-usual new years day

C

Good luck with your phd, Cambridge is a lovely city (which helps with the sanity thing). I hope everything goes well. Enjoy the 9-5 until then and stash some savings away for PhD treats!

T

I started mine end of January, wasn't a problem at all cause its all about counting the months from day of registration without actually following the academic calendar, I think most universities in UK recruit students through out year.

A

Excuse me, I am post-graduate student from Russia. I have read this topic and want to ask you: Why cann't you make job and PhD together?
In Russia many people do so.