Difficulty getting academic references

L

Hi all.

I graduated with a BSc(Hons) 2:1 in physics three years ago and am considering returning to uni to study for a PG Diploma in philosophy of science. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to get the academic references to get on to the course.

During my UG degree I struggled with serious depression and, as a result, had to request "special treatment" (project extensions, excused from a number of exams...) on a few occasions. I also dropped out in my final year, so received a BSc, rather than an MSc.

I feel much healthier now and have held a job successfully since graduating. Many of my difficulties were because I felt under pressure to complete a degree which I wasn't enjoying.

I have not yet approached my former Director of Studies for a reference, but think it is unlikely that he will provide one given my previous problems. He was generally very understanding while I was at uni but I don't want to put him in a difficult position.

I'm really keen to do this course and believe that I am capable of doing well. Any ideas on how to approach this would be appreciated.

I think you will fine getting a reference. Academics are used to being asked for references all of the time from former students, and it would be extremely unprofessional for them to refuse you reference because of your personal circumstances when you were studying with them. I wouldn’t have thought that any academic would think being asked for a reference was putting them into a difficult situation.

Just send a polite email stating that you are planning on applying for a PG Diploma and could he please supply a reference for this application.