Dilema

A

Hi all,

I have been battling with this for some time now. I am in the middle of an arts PhD, fully funded (gold dust in the arts) and am pursuing a topic that I really love. However, my supervisor has not given me ANY direction over the past two years and knows pretty much *nothing* about my subject. I had to chose her as a supervisor however as I had funding from this department and consequently had little choice.

It has also dawned on me that what I'm studying is quite a luxury and with no jobs available in the arts, I think it is something that is fun and I'd probably be doing in my spare time, but it feels increasingly ridiculous to be spending such a lot of time in my late twenties effectively in early retirement!

Coupled with this, I took three years out and worked in business (completely unrelated) and I see this as what I want to do in the future. I started a business last year and so far it is going really well and *this* is what I see myself doing. So I'm stressing as I have deadlines for handing in parts of my thesis this year, whilst what I should be doing is doing that part-time and spending most of my time focussing on my future. However, can I ask to go part-time half way through a year? If so, do I have to hand back a whole chunk of money?

I'm concerned as I want to finish the thing, but not at the expense of building my company.

What to do?

S

Though I can see your frustration at being in, as you put it "early retirement, I would suggest looking at the situation from a different perspective. You're in your twenties, doing something you really enjoy and are fully funded to do so. By the time you finish, you will be in no worse situation than you are now and the economy should be in a better position to start a business.

I feel that your best option would be to focus on your PhD fully for now and get finished ASAP. Once you are done with the PhD you can then focus on your business ideas. If you went part time is there not a risk that either the PhD or the business side would get neglected now and again as you pour efforts into the other? Plus, I doubt the group funding you would be too impressed about you going part-time and if it were me I would definitely expect some money back off you.

As far as your supervisor goes, it may be worthwhile finding someone within your department who knows more and asking them for advice.

Obviously this is just one opinion, but I guess that's why you've posted, to get a few other people's opinions.

All in all, whatever you choose, you seem to be enjoying life and that's the most important thing really.:-)(up)

A

Screaming,

Thanks very much for your response. You're probably right! I should enjoy what I have now and stop whinging. It is the case at the moment that the PhD is somewhat neglected, but I think that's due to a lack of enthusiasm for it. I need to re-energise myself it seems.

A

I can see where you're coming from in many ways. I struggle with the issue of relevance a lot and I'm in the social sciences, not Arts. Even though my study is funded as well, there are often times that I wonder if it really matters, I'm mean I'm not exactly spilting the atom here, am I?!? We can't all find cures for major diseases and research in whatever field is relative. Your project must have shown potential to be worthy of funding in your field. I a full time PhD student having worked for many years in a really busy, 'do it right now' environment and the pace of academia drives me bonkers at times.

The economy, pretty much everywhere, is in dire straits right now so why not stick with something you enjoy, and obviously must be good at? The research skills you pick up will be invaluable even if you eventually do go back into business, in an area unrelated to your PhD. Being a part time PhD student is not an easy option and motivation to work in the evenings and at weekends might be harder to muster after a long day working at your own business.

Re: funding - every jurisdiction and funding organisation probably have their own rules. I toyed with the idea of going part time and asked my 'boss' how it would affect my funding and he said that it would have to be re-negotiated but that more than likely I wouldn't lose it, or be asked to pay it back.

That my tuppence worth anyhow ;-)

A

Ady,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm really glad to hear I'm not alone! Re: the relevance issue, I have an astrophysicist College colleague that constantly gives me PhD envy! I have always wanted to do a PhD and saw myself as the next Schopenhauer when I was a wee undergrad. However, I should remind myself that what I'm doing is really interesting and get on with it!! Yes, what is it with the endless meetings about nothing at all?? Cripes.

Yes, I'll stick at it - this seems to be the consensus. However, I now have an employee (whoops) and a large contract coming through with an important client, so may have to perfect my juggling skills.

Interesting point re: the funding. I'm guessing that most funding bodies give you terms with their offer? My letter just said we are giving you x amount over x number of years. I don't think legally they'd have a leg to stand on if they wanted to claim any back.

Thanks for your tuppence (up)

E

I can't tell you what to do, but I can give you my experience.
I am in my thirties (32 to be exact). I work FT in special education in Greece (I am Greek) and I am doing a PT PhD in a UK university.
My PhD is in a completely different area than my first degree and my FT job. BUT it is something that I really love, and do because I am crazy (???).
What I want to say here is that if you love what you are doing (and you seem to love your PhD), then you should go on with it.
Regarding bad supervisor. Maybe you could find an external one with a better knowledge of your area?

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!!!

Can you change your supervisor without creating too many waves?

I'd advise continuing full time (whilst possibly looking for a job at the same time for when the funding runs out) as trying to do anything whilst you've a full time job is seriously hard work.

Have you anyone to proof your thesis on write-up and brief you about the viva at the end if your supervisor is not interested, for example, a previous sucessful candidate? If the supervisor has opted out (and knows nothing as you say), passing is going to be extremely difficult.