Dilemma over job

P

I had an interview yesterday for a seasonal job which I thought I would have a good chance of getting as I had worked for another department in the organisation doing a similar job previously. It's not a high level but would do to keep me going till I submit my PhD in the autumn. I thought it was four days a week which would give me at least two days to work on my thesis. However, it is actually full-time. I haven't heard whether I've got it but the interview went well. But I don't know whether full time would be too much - financially I can do part time and for the sake of the thesis this would be better. The real dilemma is that I have just seen another job advertised in the same organisation which is part-time and much more relevant to my studies and is better paid and is something I would want to do when I finished my PhD anyway.
So do I apply for this one as well. If I get offered the first one do I turn it down and say I want to apply for the other one. Or do I contact them now and say I want to withdraw from the first one. I think whatever happens I don't mind if I don't get the full-time one as I think it will be too much as well as doing the PhD. (I know people do work full-time but if I have the choice I would rather do part-time).

B

If it was me I'd withdraw from the full-time one, saying you can't work full-time, and apply to the part-time one.

This is assuming they don't offer the full-time one on a part-time basis of course, but that's probably unlikely, if they need a full-time amount of work to be done by somebody.

D

======= Date Modified 04 Feb 2011 23:07:50 =======

Quote From PamW:

If I get offered the first one I think whatever happens I don't mind if I don't get the full-time one as I think it will be too much as well as doing the PhD.

Tricky situation. In my opinion, If you don't think you would mind not getting the full-time one and would consider turning it down with a risk of ending up with nothing (and really think about it), then you've nothing to lose by applying for the other post but keep all eggs in the basket and so if it were me I wouldn't withdraw from the first one, just in case, but you will need to make a decision and stick with it if offered the post (that is, whether to take it or decline it). I don't think the organisation should have a problem with you applying for both posts. Why would they? I'm not sure how the posts link in with your PhD, or if they do, but could you not sell the organisation the idea that the other post is much more relevant to your studies and is something you would want to do when you finished your PhD as you've mentioned in your post here. Will your PhD benefit the organisation? If so, find a way to sell it and yourself to the organisation and, in particular, to the post you want.

It really is your decision though as you're the one that has to live with it!