Dilemma over outside interest

P

I have just been offered the chance to join the committee of a society which is very relevant to my research. I volunteered to do their newsletter but they asked me to become conference organiser and now I don't know what to do. There are three one-day conferences a year and I would have the present post-holder to work with to start with. I think it is a good opportunity as PhD students are always encouraged to organise postgrad conferences and doing so for a national/international society must be good and will look good on CV. However my supervisor (who was on the committee in a different role a few years ago) has suggested I won't have the time or the contacts to do a good job. She is quite a negative person generally and I don't know whether to take her advice or not.

C

Hi Pamw,
I organized seminars for my department some time ago. I can tell you that it takes time, energy and hard work. This said, I think it's a great opportunity and, as far as I am concerned, I had the chance to network with people that I would't have the opportunity to get in touch with otherwise. I am really happy I did it. If I had listened to my supervisor I wouldn't have done anything. I think that you need to think carefully about the time issue, and if you think you want to go for it, do it!

M

Hiya, I organised a weekly seminar series for a year and a half and also a one-off two-day conference. It IS a lot of hard work, but I would fully recommend doing it.

Z

I agree with Corrine - You know whether you can fit it in, and if you feel that you can, then theres no reason not to go for it! Its a fantastic opportunity for a PhD student, for the reasons you identify. Sounds like sour grapes on the part of your supervisor - Go for it!

K

I reckon go for it too pamw, it might be a lot of hard work but if its only 3 conferences per year and its something you would enjoy dont let your supervisor drag you down. Having something else to think about than your PhD might even help you stay motivated! And as for not having the contacts they wouldnt have asked you to do it if they didnt think you could would they? Good luck!

C

Yeah, go for it. I am currently organising a seminar for my department and i enjoy doing it.

Do not let your supervisor's negativity dissuade you.

P

Thanks everybody. I won't let one negative attitude put me off. I think people who have done similar are better placed to give me advice anyway. I'm going to go for it but be prepared for me to be on this forum moaning that I haven't got enough time to do PhD and organise conference!! Ooops - no - be positive. I will be saying what a great experience it is and I have gained lots of brilliant contacts etc etc.

M

You’ve definitely made the right choice. Those contacts come in useful, by the way – I’m starting my first post-doc in four weeks due to one of my contacts…!

C

I am sure that you will enjoy the experience, and I would be happy to hear how you are getting on!