dilemma

J

Hi everyone,
I am seeking advice from anyone here.
Basically, I am in my final stage of my final year (4th year) phd. I suppose to submit my thesis in September. But my second conference paper just got rejected 1 week ago. I am planning to resubmit to another conference in September because this work is an important part of my research which is already included in the draft version of my thesis. But I am worried about final my thesis submission.

1) if i submit my thesis in September, by the time viva comes my thesis will be weak because I only have 1 conference paper to support one part of my work, and the other part of my work will be under review, or even worse it gets rejected again. Thus, I am thinking I might have a high possibilities I cannot pass my viva.

2) If i don't submit my thesis in September until I clearly get notification from the conference saying my paper is accepted. But the problem here is I have to register to be 5th year in my phd, and I have to pay fees and everything. My scholarship only supports 4 years of my phd.

So the dilemma here is obvious, if i submit my thesis in September i will not be confidence enough to pass my viva because of my publication record is very weak. If don't submit my htesis, i have to face longer time (possibly another year) and all the payment from uni.

BTW, my supervisor asks me to focus on the thesis now, and hope me to submit my thesis in september or october. But personally speaking, i don't think he cares if my thesis is weak in viva. I cannot really trust him because of many things happened during the last 4 years. I think he barely can guide me on a technical level.

Apart from writing my thesis, I've been thinking a lot about this dilemma. Thank you!!!

D

Hi justapostgrad,

first of all check if you have to pay fees. In my uni we can upgrade to CRS (continuing research student) status for one year after the end of funding, so we don't have to pay fees :)

I can't really advise you on the publications as it is a personal decision. I know plenty of people who first had their VIVA and published soon after. I am very insecure, so I try to publish first and then have the VIVA, even if it means that it will take me a bit longer to complete.

Good luck