Disadvantages of 1st PostDoc in same Institute for PhD?

K

I'll be graduating this summer (Neuroscience PhD) and have been offered to apply for a postdoc in a different lab but same institute I'm getting my PhD in. I love my institute and am very excited about the potential of the new lab and the work I'd be doing. But I've been told by others that it is a bad idea to stay in the same institute b/c people will suspect I was unable to get a job elsewhere (that is, they assume it was a favor). Moreover, it will limit my multi-institute experience which can provide a different type of insight (though the work I'd be doing is quite different than what I've been doing). I definitely trust this advice but don't know how to balance it with the benefits.

How concerned should I be? This is really bumming me out b/c I was excited about this opportunity, yet at the same time I really haven't looked elsewhere.

Thanks for any feedback!
kmbr

K

Hey! To be honest, right now post-docs are so hard to get that if this one suits you, you like the institution and the project, the people you will be working with etc, then I would go for it. You can still make sure that you go away to conferences and meet other researchers and collaborate with them on stuff (including writing papers)- being at the same institution doesn't have to mean sticking to the same thing all the time. I am actively attempting to get funding to carry on for a post-doc at the same uni I'm at now because I genuinely believe that I'm in the best place to do my research. However, I have reassurance from my supervisor that I will actively be working with researchers from other unis so that all my papers aren't just me first author and my supervisor second, as all my PhD ones are. Of course you can still look elsewhere, but I wouldn't dismiss this postdoc straight off just because it's at the same institution. To be honest, I have had this conversation with some researchers at my institution, and many have said that it can look good to stay at the same place because it is obvious that they value your work- why else would they allocate funding or a post-doc to you? Good luck with your decision! KB

K

Thank you very much for the advice. I've gotten some pretty mixed responses, so it seems like I should still pursue a comprehensive job search while not ruling out that this may still be the best position for me. I plan to express my concerns and plans to the PI ASAP.

Thanks again,
Kmbr

I'd jump on any offers you get - there aren't many about!

I agree with Sneaks - I'd jump on it. Post-docs are so difficult to get, especially with the way funding is going these days. It sounds like you're excited by the opportunity and you won't just be doing the same thing as your PhD, so I don't really see the downside (although I'm in social science so maybe things are different in your field).

A

Quote From Kmbr:

Thank you very much for the advice. I've gotten some pretty mixed responses, so it seems like I should still pursue a comprehensive job search while not ruling out that this may still be the best position for me. I plan to express my concerns and plans to the PI ASAP.

Thanks again,
Kmbr

Hi...I would not place it as such. Possibly could you tell your supervisor that yes, you are interested in the post, but he cannot guarantee it (you were invited to apply not accept), and therefore will be looking at other opportunities? That way you have other options

K

======= Date Modified 12 Feb 2011 18:41:40 =======
======= Date Modified 12 Feb 2011 18:41:08 =======
I can't tell her that the only concern is a commitment from her unless it really is the only concern. That's why I'd love to figure out my plan now rather than wait until potential choices slip through my fingers. My PI is confident I'll find a quality postdoc job, but there's no way to guarantee there's one available that I'll enjoy. Meanwhile, I can spend my time applying or I can spend my time graduating. I think I just have to be upfront so I can get her opinion.

kmbr