discussion chapter like pulling eye teeth

S

I cant break into it at all. I feel like I'm repeating what has already been said in my results chapter, and now I'm running out of time. Can anyone suggest anything that can help? a webpage maybe that will help me to structure the chapter?
:-(

A

hi there! Somebody once told me that when your writing a paper or doing a talk there are 3 main thing to do: first, tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them what you're telling them and, remind them of what you told them!
I know it sounds a bit mad but it makes sense, and for your discussion, you're basically describing how your results are applicable to the wider scale of things. I'm not sure what field you're in but in science, for the results section it's literally saying just what the results are, and the discussion section is for putting the results in context and bringing the whole thing together, explaining why the results do/do not make sense, why they are important etc. hope that helps!

J

i feel the same.

i have decided it is ok to repeat what am saying in different words. perhaps add in a bit of theory - which i have already mentioned in other chapters - to flesh it up.

i agree with Algaequeen. this is where you say what you have been trying to say all this time.

Step 1: figure out what you have been trying to say. ( i did this by reading through and summarising my thesis from beginning to end.)

Step 2: say it as Algaequeen suggested.

J

ps: refer to your thesis title and use that as the title of the chapter.

S

Hi Siwee

The discussion chapter is the hardest one of all, so not surprising you're having difficulties with it. I'm also writing this chapter, and am in social sciences, so not sure if my approach is useful for you...I've put up butcher's paper all around my study, and have gone through all my chapters, written the findings in categories, then brainstormed conclusions. My individual chapters discuss my case studies and what I've found, then my discussion chapter discusses the commonalities and differences, and relates it all to the theory and to the literature.

Prepare it like any other essay - do a plan, summarise your findings, draw them together. It's hard, but keep going! Good luck!