distance learning courses in the UK

L

Hello everyone .. my friend asked me about distance learning courses (Pharmacy/Biological sciences) provided by UK unis ... is it worth to do ... is it recognised when applying for jobs in UK, Europe and the US ??? any ideas .. thanks alot

R

Hi,

the Open University had quite a good name and reputation. I think most employers appreciate if employees work and the aside of work do a distance learning course. For example the MBA is recognised and accredited. Obviously it is not the same as getting full time education at a well known university.

S

Hi, a number of universities do distance learning - though I don't know about your particular subject - biochemistry sounds like it would be difficult to do at a distance because of the amount of lab work involved. Personally I can thoroughly recomment the Open University - I did Biology with them, on top of a job (with residential courses for the practical side). I have found that showing that degree of commitment usually counts for you in a huge way - and the Open University is highly respected. I got on a masters program & subsequent PhD on the back of my OU studies. But check out other universities too, I think it is becoming more common for universities to offer distance learning now.