DIstance learning enquiry

R

======= Date Modified 14 Mar 2012 11:22:56 =======
======= Date Modified 14 Mar 2012 11:17:58 =======
I am seriously thinking about embarking on a Ph.D in English Literature by resarch, by a distance learning route. I currently reside in a non-English speaking country and work about 22 hours a week. I also have a family with kids.

I found a university and a possible supervisor but they only offer full time enrollment via distance learning. What I am wondering is whether I can study as a "full time" Ph.D student for three to four years in my current situation. My kids are at school in the mornings, which gives me about 4 hours each day to study. I can also arrange to put in about 6 hours at the weekends, for a total of about 26 hours. Also significant, I think, is the fact that each summer my work ends for three months, so I have a full three months every year where I can put in much longer hours. I wonder if this will serve for full time. I have the option of extending the doctorate into the fourth year, of course.

The other thing I am wondering is what exactly Ph.D study means. This probably sounds silly. I am interested in the writers I plan on studying, have read quite extensively on them already, and have my own library of books. I would be reading them and reading about them and forming my own theories regardless of whether I was following any academic programme. So how will the Ph.D differ? I have tried discussing this with the potential supervisor but he seems unable to engage in much conversation regarding the Ph.D until the research proposal is handed in (he doesn't seem willing to help me even with the proposal).

Any advice for either of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

W

My university has a universal guideline of 150 hours per month on PhD work to be able to produce enough work at a PhD standard.
That works at around 40 hours per week allowing for holidays.
Even if you don't allow yourself any days off for holiday or illness (your own or your children's) you are still looking at needing to put in a 35 hour week.
(Or 40 weeks at 26 hours and 12 weeks at 63 hours!)

I would suggest keep looking for a part time option.
I have done the family&job°ree route and it is not easy. It was a necessity to get where I am now but not enjoyable at the time.
The fourth year isn't there to spread the workload for the earlier 3 years so please don't think you can get away with working less early on because you have this 'back-up year'. Look for an official longer time to do the PhD with the extra year at the end on top (so 6 years plus extra year).

T

Hello. I am also doing my Phd from a distance and am a teacher! I would say that if you can do the hours you say, then that might be enough - you can do a lot if you are under time pressure! However, I have recently swapped from full to part time as I couldn't keep up. This was after a disastrous few months when at least one of my children was always ill. What would happen if you really couldn't keep up? Would you not be allowed extra time?

I am also a little worried that you say you will have more time during the summer - really? I suppose it depends on your children's ages and family arrangements but for me summer holidays are the killer study-wise -- all the children at home and no childcare!

R

Many thanks to the two users who replied.
I have the option of putting in more hours in the summer because my wife volunteers to be with the kids. Without her support, I would be in a worse situation than during school terms, as you suggest.

What makes me more inclined to take the full time option is that I am now 42 years old. The years available to me for changing my situation are becoming thin on the ground. I would appreciate knowing exactly what Ph.D learning entails because I have two particular areas of interest. I have been studying these areas of interest in my own time for twenty-two years; in other words, I have already read extensively off my own back. When I think about a 21 or 22 year old about to embark on a Ph.D about which they have limited background knowledge I wonder whether I can do it. Twenty-two years of study surely count for something, even if they have not been structured. I have authored books, so I know how hard editing can be (I actually quite enjoy it, though it demands tremendous focus).

So, I wonder, how does Ph.D study differ from simply studying something over several years in one's own time, and knowing the subject well.

K

======= Date Modified 21 Mar 2012 09:54:54 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by mods - inappropriate content*